Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

The antenna mast - a chapter of its own

Well the vanished part hasn't magically reappeared, but the replacement from Revell arrived with miraculous speed.

After spraying a thin black base the wooden part of the mast was brush painted with a sand colour.

715961-34859-66.jpg

Afterwards I apllied a thin layer of burnt umber oil colour which was beforehand left to "bleed" on a cardboard palette.

Using a stiff (read old) brush I added the grain.

715963-34859-55.jpg

I'll let the oil colour cure for another day before the protective gloss coat will follow.

The antenna mast - part 2

Well it's done and glued onto the canopy but its predecessor hasn't submerged.
Here it is:

718433-34859-35.jpg

The wire is made from elastic thread (Uschi's fine rigging thread). The insulators were done with a drop of superglue followed by a blob of white glue, which didn't adhere to the thread on its own. The cone was made from 0.2mm sheet smash moulded over a sharpened tooth pick.

That's it from me - the next post will (finally) be in the RFI section.

Cheers

Joachim

7 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

The wood looks real:clap2:

Thanks Petr - I initally feared the macro pictures but the wood turned out way better than expected.

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow great work! I agree, the wood grain looks great, as does the salt weathering (assuming its salt)

Yes it's salt fading/wheatering, indeed. In some places it went down a little bit too harsh - still a lot of stuff to learn and to improve for my next build.

4 hours ago, Lothar said:

Excellent work in all aspects - lots to learn from!!! I hope to get a chance to see it in person

at a show in the future when finished!

Lothar

Thank you very much Lothar - we really have to arrange a real life meeting on a show nearby. Do you have something in my mind?

4 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

Superb work. Really like the cone trick on the aerial wire. Little bits like this make all the difference. Looking forward to the frp 

Wacky - thanks for the kind words and keep up the good work on your recon Spit!