Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

Joachim we’ve been living parallel ‘scribing’ lives apparently lol I’m using the UMM SCR-01 tool and a needle in a pin vise. I struggled with the skewed lines until just this weekend. In one of the posts here someone mentioned using dymo tape. It’s a name for plastic tape used in label makers. It has a peel off backing that exposes a sticky side. The plastic tape is just thick enough to follow without going off track and yet thinnenough that you can see what you are doing while scribing. For more info check out chuck’s F-5 kicked up a notch post.

10 hours ago, Fanes said:

While thinking of a solution and waiting for the resin camera to arrive, I turned my attention to the small bits in the cockpit.

The representation of the rudder pedals in the kit is quite disappointing for a LSP, so I erased a lot of material and opened all holes:

569705-34859-37.jpg

So long

Joachim

This is where PE is your friend:

DSCF3316.jpg

From RB Productions.

7 hours ago, themongoose said:

Joachim we’ve been living parallel ‘scribing’ lives apparently lol I’m using the UMM SCR-01 tool and a needle in a pin vise. I struggled with the skewed lines until just this weekend. In one of the posts here someone mentioned using dymo tape. It’s a name for plastic tape used in label makers. It has a peel off backing that exposes a sticky side. The plastic tape is just thick enough to follow without going off track and yet thinnenough that you can see what you are doing while scribing. For more info check out chuck’s F-5 kicked up a notch post.

Thanks a lot - I'll try that the next time!

@LSP_Ray I've seen these beauties before - thanks for reminding me where!

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Radu (RB productions mentioned above by Ray) also does a nice little scribing tool that fits into a knife holder.

That's a sweet looking tool! But unfortunately it's out of stock.

well done on the seat mechanism!

I did go PE rudder pedals and love the effect.

I also went and trimmed down the seat "rails" which are inaccurate on the back of the seat,

The seat assembly is fiddly so use the cockpit floor to help with alignment

2 hours ago, Shawn M said:

well done on the seat mechanism!

I did go PE rudder pedals and love the effect.

I also went and trimmed down the seat "rails" which are inaccurate on the back of the seat,

The seat assembly is fiddly so use the cockpit floor to help with alignment

I already had teh seat fully assembled (via cockpit floor) when I read your comment. So after pulling everything apart, shaving about half of the seat holders' thickness and reinstalling the armour plate and the adjustment chain (drilled and flattened wire) that's the result:

570070-34859-38.jpg

I won't be adding the rivets on the back of the seat, bevause they will never be seen anyway.

On to the next step.

The throttle regulators and stuff. Here's Dragon vs. the real thing:

570071-34859-93.jpg

That's a shame. My eduard 109 in 1/48 has better details :BANGHEAD2:. Lots of fiddling, swearing and more fiddling later:

570072-34859-45.jpg

Not perfect since some of the knobs are still a little bit out of shape, but in my opinion lightyears ahead of the kit offering.
The eduard interior set could be quite useful in this place.

And since all of you really got me thinking about those PE rudder pedals - I did some digging in my stash and found this little precious:

570073-34859-81.jpg

On 1/30/2019 at 7:05 PM, Shawn M said:

well done on the throttle quadrant

what cut away drawings are you using, those look really nice! 

The drawings are in John Vasco's book "Messerschmitt Bf 110 C, D and E An Illustrated Study". It's most useful for all early Bf 110s but unfortunately quite pricy!

Thanks guys for the comments. I thought getting the small knobs on the levers was hard, but keeping them on is even worse. Already lost two of them - replaced them today.
I did some work on the other cockpit parts - pictures will follow tomorrow if I find time.

It's without a doubt the most detailed and useful Bf110 book in my collection, I've been waiting for years hoping John Vasco was going to produce a companion volume for the F and G series but I suspect not now. Worth every penny though Shawn if you find one! 

Edited by mozart

Two parcels arrived today and got me something for this conversion.
A lot of useful reference in the book "Aufklärer - Vol.1: Luftwaffe reconnaissanc aircraft and units 1935-1941" and the nice RB50/30 cameras from AIMS.

570948-34859-19.jpg

Picture on the top-left finally reveals the position of the camera surroundings in a Bf 110, while the bottom right shows the mounting frame which I need to scratch build.

I discovered two useful parts in the Dragon box:

570949-34859-94.jpg

D31 - marked as unused in the instructions but quite useful for me (RB20/30 mounting has the same height adjustment).
Only problem: There are only two of these knobs in the box. Is there somebody (preferably from Europe) who could send me these two knobs?

So long

Joachim