Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

On 12/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, Kagemusha said:

Wow, that really is stunning. 

On 12/29/2019 at 6:33 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, that looks terrific! The green stripes really add to it

Thanks a lot mates - I hope to come to a satisfying end with this build.

Something unsatiyfying to start with:

I had to resort to the decals from two Revell Bf 109G-6 for the drop tanks and they turned out....well see for yourself:

690097-34859-99.jpg

I started some small stuff as long as the gloss coat was taking its time to dry.

All surfaces painted RLM02 recieved a dark pin wash with oils (raw umber and black). I tried to keep it understated.

690099-34859-53.jpg

And finally the Quickboost exhausts (I noticed my bad cleanup as soon as I took the photos - well now it's too late) got some paint. I apllied Alclad steel over a black base followed by pale burnt metal and at last jet exhaust around the openings.

More colour will be aded with brown and black oils, pigments and MRP exhaust soot.

690098-34859-11.jpg

More bad news - no pictures so far, forgot my camera - from th weathering: I applied two salt fading coats (MRP light grey and a dark brown) and both somehow ate through all previos paint coats down to the black base :crying:

Joachim

Happ new year Joachim,

hopefully you can repair this mishap!

Did you do a "sealing" coat BEFORE you started weathering?

I´m using Future every time I did a step in weathering (paneling i. e.).

It is only slightly time consuming but very useful if the result isn´t satisfying - removing could be done without any damage to the previous steps.

Take a breath, have a cup of coffee - and come back with this fantastic 110!

Reimund

On 12/31/2019 at 4:01 PM, Shawn M said:

keep at it man you got this!

Thanks Shawn - I'm going to tackle the beast on the weekend!

4 hours ago, Isar 30/07 said:

Happ new year Joachim,

hopefully you can repair this mishap!

Did you do a "sealing" coat BEFORE you started weathering?

I´m using Future every time I did a step in weathering (paneling i. e.).

It is only slightly time consuming but very useful if the result isn´t satisfying - removing could be done without any damage to the previous steps.

Take a breath, have a cup of coffee - and come back with this fantastic 110!

Reimund

Thank you very much Reimund - happy new year to you, too!

I'll try to gently overspray the damaged area - it might turn out fine since the damage is quite irregular/in small spots.

Everything was sealed up twice: first with Tamiya clear, followed by MRP clear after the decals. I guess herein lies the problem:
both can be thinned with laqcuer thinner as was the colour used for fading. So Future or any other water based gloss coat would have ruled that out from the beginning.

I take the week of frm my Messerschmitt, have several cups of tea to calm down and I'll be back on track in a few days!

4 hours ago, mozart said:

Good advice there Joachim from Reimund, take a breath and your time to finish this beauty off properly.  Tell me, do you swear in German or your excellent English! :lol:

Max - you're making me blush behind my screen, but I can assure you most swearing was in German. I might change to English if I finally get back to my Spitfire build :D

Cheers to all of you fine mates

Joachim

Now with some time and courage there comes progress!

FIrst of all: damage report
From afar everything looks just fine:

692187-34859-70.jpg

With closer examination you can see where the paint ate trough all coats down to the base

692188-34859-83.jpg

692186-34859-72.jpg

With some RLM79 sprayed on carefully692189-34859-91.jpg

The coat turned out ultra flat and quite light even though it's from the same jar.
After some polishing with a sanding stick the result was a lot more even.

The salt fading is a lot heavier than I would like it to be - those MRP colours are sometimes covering too good!

I'll try to tone the effect down with more filters.

Moving on to the underside:
Oil-dot-filter

Lots of small dots of white, blue, brown and umber apllied with a toothpick

692191-34859-61.jpg

and blended in with mineral spirit

692190-34859-19.jpg

The area inside the engine cowlings recieved some extra dark oils as a base for the exaust stains

692192-34859-98.jpg

While I was waiting for the oils to cure to aplly a gloss coat (hopefully without any surprises) I turned my attention to the exhausts.

They recieved multiple very transparent layers of browns. The idea is to break the uniform look of the exhausts and make every single one unique.

The effect is really hard to capture in a photo - the rusty sheen is unfortunately invisible.

692193-34859-58.jpg

So where am I?

1. gloss coat
  2. repairs
  3. decals
  4. gloss coat
  5. salt fading
  6. touch ups
  7. oil dot filter
  8. gloss coat
  9. panel wash
  10. gun and exhaust stains
  11. careful chipping
  12. dust and dirt
  13. 1000 small things

Still lots of things to do but I really do enjoy weathering and I'm relieved that there's now no more need to hurry which obviously wasn't my style at all :lol:

Edited by Fanes

Servus Joachim,

looking at the "damage", I thought this wouldn´t look that bad - it´s a desert veteran that fought most against the elements.

Correcting the mishap, now it´s a really war weary 110.

Glad, you could fix it and it looks now more convincing to my eye!

Can´t wait to see more Progress!

Cheers - Reimund 

On 12/30/2019 at 1:02 PM, Fanes said:

Something unsatiyfying to start with:

I had to resort to the decals from two Revell Bf 109G-6 for the drop tanks and they turned out....well see for yourself:

690097-34859-99.jpg

Great work!  Did the discoloration around the decals resolve itself?  I've experienced this also when I have not allowed the clear coat to cure thoroughly.  The decal solvent  (Microsol, in my case) seems to discolor the paint.  But I've found that it is temporary and the effect fades pretty quickly.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:15 PM, Thunnus said:

Great work!  Did the discoloration around the decals resolve itself?  I've experienced this also when I have not allowed the clear coat to cure thoroughly.  The decal solvent  (Microsol, in my case) seems to discolor the paint.  But I've found that it is temporary and the effect fades pretty quickly.

Unfortunately it didn't at least not to my satisfaction. My guess is that it's related to the flat carrier film of the Revell decals. I carefully sprayed some blue in their vicinity and that turned out as bright as under the decal - so the final flat coat might resolve the issue

• 4 weeks later...

Well a lot of time went by since my last update. Work and some other hobbies got in the way but here we are.
Oil dot filter applied to the upper surface700641-34859-97.jpg

Stuff left to do:

1. gloss coat
  2. repairs
  3. decals
  4. gloss coat
  5. salt fading
  6. touch ups
  7. oil dot filter
  8. gloss coat
  9. panel wash
  10. gun and exhaust stains