chrish

Thanks very much guys!

I've taken the next step and begun gluing the rear fuselage components together. Almost but not quite completely ignoring the instructions, I did look at them now and then to make sure I got all the parts in (so far) I also tried sanding down the back of some parts so thin that the vents would appear functional, a lot of sanding, to be sure. also I cut back the slots in the gun vents to be "see through" I guess pictures tell a better story than I do...

The gun bay gas purge vents being sanded through from behind

pRGzyIb.jpg

the top gun vents also cleaned up

B0GyXVw.jpg

My method of fuselage construction (disregarding the instructions method) I joined the wings to the top half

QSYvreV.jpg

and the lower rear sides to the main component, eliminating the potential for sanding and filling. In the image the bend in the lower fuselage becomes apparent, gluing small sections at a time works this bend out

0MW8pcv.jpg

Assembled lower half and upper half nearing assembly.

9TMukH2.jpg

the vertical line visible here has already been filled and sanded smooth with CA, the white horizontal line is a shim of .010" sheet (my methods may have been a bit too sloppy) causing the gap. The shim has filled it I believe...paint will tell.

WajT0I6.jpg

The opposite side came out much better

VzmwEDF.jpg

bottom views

MgV51rn.jpg

GxvFTve.jpg

6 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Great progress Chris. The multi part rear fuselage is supposed the one of the bigger challenges on the kit. It looks like you have a good handle on it.

Carl

Thanks Carl, it's only through experience building a D version years ago...Should I put a pic up?... and through forums like this where others have shown how to fix the fit...I'm standing on the shoulders of those who've come before me.

I never test fitted the LERX's I guess I got a bit ahead of myself? In any case after reading your post I remembered I had failed to even check the fit!

I'm happy to report the fit is not bad if not good or great? I think it could've been better if done by a more competent modeller but it came out ok with a smear of Vallejo plastic putty in the joint. In my handling of the model I managed to break the joint on the upper rear deck and ejection seat, I'll fix them back in place when the major structural work has been completed I guess to avoid potential permanent damage. 

The reason I spend so much time at the bench...

JwOfip1.jpg

brrrrrrr

The port side LERX attached and faired in

c5ABwMf.jpg

the starboard side also done

zOjXB0q.jpg

and the bottom

pY9JXnf.jpg

Nice work, Chris!

1 hour ago, chrish said:

The reason I spend so much time at the bench...

JwOfip1.jpg

That's cold! A friend of mine used to live in Saskatoon, and coming from Australia, he found the cold winter temperatures difficult to adjust to. I know I couldn't do it!

Kev

Thanks!

I'll definitely be staying inside when I can, my daytime job gets me out in the cold when it can but evenings are nice and warm in the hobby room!  

I've got a bit of paint on the Hornet last night and tonight and spent a few hours making masks (I think a die cutter could be in my future...) to shoot the hornet stripes. All the gray's are Vallejo as my favorite paint maker (Tamiya) doesn't seem to make to many exact matches for modern jets. The orange and yellow are Tamiya colors, granted they are a mix as well but a lot less farting around to make a bit of orange and yellow than all that gray!

JoVar0j.jpg

The bottom, light gray on

m035CDg.jpg

top color medium gray

e2RYsLL.jpg

hornet yellow/ orange

IyMaXCn.jpg

masking in progress for the black now...no pics yet