chrish

Holy Crap, that is bright isn't it!

Thanks for looking in and keeping me company here! Another bitter cold week in hell has seen me spending my off time relaxing at the bench doing about 4 -6 hours of masking and about 30 seconds of painting to get this... 

cutting up a scan of the decals to make masks

SLf9Kxc.jpg

bcYI3DH.jpg

Hnowb6F.jpg

lvB5eMB.jpg

o0q1R7u.jpg

fMcKOdk.jpg

6W3qfsA.jpg

Masking and painting continues through the (yaaay) long weekend

Thanks for looking!

I've begun the tricky part...well, ok, most of the masking is tricky but, the alternative is decals and as much as I love the look of the decals I still don't trust my luck with them! I've gone with my patented tried and tested method of wet paper masking (those of you kind enough to see me through the Bf 110 G night fighter project will remember my pain with the Model Master acrylic that fell of that model)

I cut out the scanned copies of the decals and set them on the model and wet them so they'd stick...tricky but it works if you're careful...(mileage may vary lol) 

A couple of images of progress as of quitting time tonight.

1st image; paper masks cut and wet to lay in place-

jxcyIAp.jpg

painting...

iray7hl.jpg

SMzdsfS.jpg

masks removed, some touch up's needed

GITUrmL.jpg

5KdLzuX.jpg

11 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work and interesting masking method! Looks great! :)

Have to try that method some time! 

Håkan

+1 to that. Can you tell us more about the wet paper masking, or point me back to a place where you explained it by chance? It really looks interesting.

Thanks for looking in and comments!

Alain, there are a lot of different demo schemes to choose from, that’s for sure! Probably enough to keep me building demo schemes and nothing else for years...if one was so inclined...

Mongoose, I discovered a way of making masks from paper when I ruined the shark mouth decals for a 1/32 Hasegawa P40 a few years ago, I scanned/ copied the decals (that way the mask is the same size as the original decals) cut the image out (I used a exacto knife) lay them on the model, put a few drops of water on the paper mask and brush it down with a wide soft brush, soak up the excess that squeezes out from under the paper and shoot the paint...very low pressure with frequent passes on the air brush and dampen the mask frequently as the airbrush has a tendency to dry the mask quite quickly...something to do with blowing air on it I guess?

actually I’m wrong with my first use of the paper mask, I first used it to make a tigers face on a pumpkin for a Halloween carving.  When I ruined my P40 decals I remembered that masking method