chrish

• chrish changed the title to CF-18 color bird

I'm off and....well, not quite running, but work has begun in earnest on the Hornet. I've managed to get the A version resin conversion parts cleaned up and begun some assembly. I'll attach a couple of pictures of the new (old) office and the reference book that is indispensable for building a detailed Hornet (more detailed than mine will be) 

FPKpZMx.jpg

The A version Black Box conversion with Canadian seat

VOhltI3.jpg

pZSpAxG.jpg

Thanks, I'm curious, does that set have the (3 per side) vertical tail inboard stiffeners/gussets? In  looking at the kit I'm using, the A conversion I have and the Kinetic ABCD kits, I haven't seen any with the gussets at the base of the tails. Not a huge deal I guess as I can make my own or go without but, would like to know if Cutting Edge added them in.

Thanks

nice paint sheme

i have the C and D version in the stash will try to follow your build and make some notes

the D model whas one off the models that i would enter for this group build,maybe later

Mark

Thanks for looking

I bought the LEM decals from Rick Chin of Uncle Bills models fame (now passed away) back when the decals were a brand new release (as was the Hornet kit) back when we used to go for beers with Mike Chant from Leading Edge Models and Mike Grant of the decals with the same name.

I remember Rick giving Mike C the Hornet to test fit the decals onto before release. I bought a few sets, all in 1/32, all colour bird.

On a side note...I found the vertical stab inboard stiffener/ gussets  on sprue D (parts 7-8 on one side, 8-9 on the other) not indicated for use in any of the instructions books but there all the same. Thinking of seamless engine inlets now but, just thinking...

A bit more work done on the kit. I've taken a different rout from the instructions and begun with building the landing gear, I'll add whatever pipes wires and hoses I can to busy it up a bit...

the nose gear, white bits will simulate canon plugs and pipe fittings later on.

NoVYElh.jpg

US main gear

J1zVu5M.jpg

Canadian main gear leg (shock inverted)

pBpKDos.jpg

being distracted with a very large jigsaw puzzle at the same time so work is slow on the Hornet