Trumpeter 1/32 F-8J

thaipham101

Since I moved to the U.S., I've had the habbit of spending big buck on model every birthday. This year, someone snatched the Tamiya 1/32 F-4U before me so I picked this kit up instead.

So far, all I've got is the Aires cockpit, sanding all the excess resin can be the alternative to going to gym.

zByToG.jpg 

It's a shame that all these will be hidden...

jD3qZs.jpg

and the cockpit... I kinda wish Aires put the throttle separate, broke mine during sanding. Now waiting for the wheel bays and Eduard interior set to come (I only need the instrument panel)

NxdOs1.jpg

Btw, anyone know where to get a Eduard Big Ed set for the Kittyhawk 1/32 F-5E in the States, please hook me up, Sprue Bros. is out of stock and they have no ETA on restock... can't find it anywhere else

Edited by thaipham101

Im watching for more updates,  I think this is going to be a great build.  Ive looked around for the Big Ed 1/32 F-5E kit,  but like you I can't find it anywhere...  looking forward to more posts on this build.... thanks

Been busy since last post with finishing up a couple of my small scale builds

also, finally the Aires wheelbay and Eduard interior PE arrived, the Aires set fits like a champ, at least on the main gear bay, one hell of a job sanding the nose one tho and I still haven't removed the moulded kit detail to fit it in yetg6FCix.jpg

and, bad news, bought the Eduard PE for the IP but it's way smaller than the Aires IP, so painting the Aires one it is

89vRQO.jpg

and, after hours of painting, here it is

IzGRpF.jpg

8gLVmJ.jpg3B8MIg.jpg

wwfoD3.jpg

I think I gonna rework the starboard sidewall fabric a little tho, but my eyes are tired now.

Also, I should stop buying models so I can buy a decent camera lol

On 1/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, Sony Coder said:

Im watching for more updates,  I think this is going to be a great build.  Ive looked around for the Big Ed 1/32 F-5E kit,  but like you I can't find it anywhere...  looking forward to more posts on this build.... thanks

I hope so lol. Yeah it's been months and no where in the U.S. has restocked the Eduard set yet. Good thing the group build is a year long and Phase Hangar resin hasn't released their intake so it can wait.

3 minutes ago, thaipham101 said:

Thanks.

I've been saying that for almost 3 years now lol my girl is still asking when will I get one camera like she did

I just last year purchased a really nice new Nikon D3400 and a "D3400 for Dummies" book to go with it. The issue I have atm, is that I dont have enough cash for a wide angle lens to go with the camera, so atm, its only good for distance shots. Soon Ill get a correct lens to I can take some model shots! 

39 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I just last year purchased a really nice new Nikon D3400 and a "D3400 for Dummies" book to go with it. The issue I have atm, is that I dont have enough cash for a wide angle lens to go with the camera, so atm, its only good for distance shots. Soon Ill get a correct lens to I can take some model shots! 

yeah buying the camera is one thing, buying lenses is another, for a lifetime. I used to have the Canon T3i but hit rock bottom so had to sell it, planning to save for the Nikon D7200, since I don't do just model shots, and it's also kind of a promise I made years ago. If you don't mind, I'd say get some cheap-ass manual lenses for film camera, of course you have to adjust everything yourself since the camera can't get any input from the lens but after a while you'll get used to it, and our hobby isn't much time-sensitive anyway, way cheaper than the modern lenses

I'm a little rushed to button the fuselage up, idk why, maybe because I like seeing the whole thing lol

still details to fix and add later on tho

oCXD3n.jpgLJ7LIN.jpg\\

pnL2rH6ij

pmEScTTfj

plMaKm7Aj

pl0Su7PNj

pnMvjkFoj

I wanted to do a shark mouth scheme but it looks like the F-8J get any of that. Kit decal then, save money to buy couple more 1/72 F-8 since I have the Mig Killer decal, for 16 birds IIRC

Very nice work on the Crusader, one thing to note is the kit doesn't include the ALQ-100 antennas on the belly of the aircraft, between the main gear doors:

4e86f1823c918873f5cffc7e056f2f01.jpg

better view on a RF-8, also note the chaff dispensers between the strakes:

z.jpg

Jari

Well, today I'll be the knight who say nit(picking)

There's a gap between the main gear bay and air brake bay, Aires doesn't tell me to sand that end and the gear bay fit nicely so I thought it's not a problem. We'll see later

pnsN9xbCj

and the horrendous gap under the intake... for kits big like this I prefer superglue over regular glue to button up the fuselage

pnxowXC1j

after wrestling around, the nose still refuses to fit properly, gonna have to fix it later

pnTjsH0Ij

pnzfcn61j

notice how the panel lines on the vertical stab don't line up while everything is in the correct place. Also bad mould quality here, the mating edges look like they're from a Valom kit or something of the last century. I absolutely did nothing to them, just pure out of the box

pm1fEdI4j

more of the vertical stab

pm52FIPcj

and more gaps

pleEoEsrj

Finally, the Eduard Big Ed for KH F-5E is back in stock at Sprue Bros, took the chance and got some paint for my Sukhoi too. Gonna leave it aside for now though, waiting for the Phase Hangar resin intake and also trying to finish this build plus a number of 1/72 before my friend sends his Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon to have it built. 

plfVMHRej

One of the 1/72 I'm finishing now

plWjpENyj

Edited by thaipham101

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on the build lately since I've just got a bunch of kits and doing comm work on the Meng T-90A Putin. The other T-90 is for me, to go with the M1A2 Trump they released over Christmas

plY9Ni8zj

Also found this holy grail after 5 years searching for one

pnY7hVX6j

and some other kits, plus framing the box arts that Eduard gives in their kits

pm2NhrbxjpowF36kxjplNJb4uFjpm44e0zJj