13 hours ago, Finn said:

Here is one with the vents and extra gear behind the seat:

806ea54a1bc0cb04_large

no vents and nothing visible behind the seat:

0352bc01d58332b1_large

65215129da54aecf_large

79fe23bf5a277f0c_large

Jari

Thanks Jari.   I’m getting cold just looking at those pictures!   Looks like there was no “standard” F-51D.  I’m going to have to see if there are any pics of the subject I’m planning to build out there so I can verify it’s exact configuration.   I guess I’ll need to determine radio fit, vents on fuselage side, type of prop and what style canopy was used.  I doubt I’ll find a pic that shows the wings very well (assuming I find any pics at all) so I’m going for wings w no putty.  

I found this. Not very close or sharp but it's a start to figuring things out. Looks like you might be in luck with the radio equipment. Also note that the tailwheel is fixed down, and the doors removed. It does have cooling slots though...

xAH4bhyl.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

31 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

I found this. Not very close or sharp but it's a start to figuring things out. Looks like you might be in luck with the radio equipment. Also note that the tailwheel is fixed down, and the doors removed. It does have cooling slots though...

xAH4bhyl.jpg

Interesting, it went through an upgrade to add those vents but apparently still had WW2 vintage radios?     Is that a canvas boot around the tail wheel?  

47 minutes ago, John1 said:

Interesting, it went through an upgrade to add those vents but apparently still had WW2 vintage radios?     Is that a canvas boot around the tail wheel?  

I would think the radios would be the SCR-695 and SCR-522, but again I'd have to do some digging. 

I enlarged the tailwheel area in the photo, and I can see the cut-outs and oleo struts, so looks like no canvas boot. You would think they would definitely have the boot in Korea on those mucky wet airfields! 

Seems like many post-war Mustangs are a case of, "Well, it should be like this, but..."

Richard