F-51 Korean War Mustang

otis252

Hey guys, picked up a Tamiya P-51D/K Mustang today and want to as a Korean War fighter bomber. My questions are what changes need to be made, what aftermarket is available and of course decals to make this version? Also, what references for this version are available? Many thanks.

Chuck

Edited by otis252

Ziggyfoos' answer is a good one. Taking a look at a couple of books will give you a good idea of the variations seen in USAF Mustangs in Korea. 

Here is a link to a description of late D-model Mustang changes as detailed by John Terrell, a noted Mustang expert. It was in a thread for flying simulators, and unfortunately the photos are no longer available, they were very helpful. But the descriptions  should give you a good idea of what needs to be done, depending on how far you want to go. 

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/76424-New-WBS-Mustangs

You probably know, but in case you might not be aware, the Aeroproducts prop for the P-51K is not the same as the uncuffed Hamilton Standard that appeared late in D-model production. You would need an aftermarket prop from Grey Matter or Red Roo. 

Sorry, quick sketchy answer, I'm just on the way out the door. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

14 hours ago, otis252 said:

Hey guys, picked up a Tamiya P-51D/K Mustang today and want to as a Korean War fighter bomber. My questions are what changes need to be made, what aftermarket is available and of course decals to make this version? Also, what references for this version are available? Many thanks.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Great minds think alike.  I'm right behind you, just trying to wrap up my Corsair.  Ziggyfoo's linked threads should help.   Those AIM's decals are the only ones out there (that I've been able to find).  They are nice (no idea how well they will go down) but still a bit lacking.   For decent HAVR's I plan on buying the sprue from the Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair kit and probably the decals since they have very details stenciling markings for those rockets.   Other than those items, you should be good to go (unless you need to add a black box or two in the cockpit, on that I have no idea).  The Tamiya D/K kit comes with appropriate drop tanks to use as Napalm bombs (gonna paint mine that garish yellow color that was often used).

Only other things you'll need to decide on is whether to putty the wings or not and whether to go with an upgraded overall black cockpit or leave it in the original WW2 spec green.  I'm still not sure I fully understand those issue, will be doing more research when I get closer to starting this project.  Despite these details, for me the hard part is going to be replicating the "beat to ****" appearance of these aircraft.   Faded natural metal and covered in dirt and grime.   I'm not sure my finishing skills will be up for the challenge.   Here's a good example I posted elsewhere.  I'm going to be struggling with that finish.  No shiny chrome paintwork on this one, like you see on so many other models. 

136289006-02bg5aqm-adsc_7314x.jpg?w=950

Good luck, post plenty of pics.  I'll be taking notes.

Edited by John1

2 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

Ziggyfoos' answer is a good one. Taking a look at a couple of books will give you a good idea of the variations seen in USAF Mustangs in Korea. 

Here is a link to a description of late D-model Mustang changes as detailed by John Terrell, a noted Mustang expert. It was in a thread for flying simulators, and unfortunately the photos are no longer available, they were very helpful. But the descriptions  should give you a good idea of what needs to be done, depending on how far you want to go. 

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/76424-New-WBS-Mustangs

You probably know, but in case you might not be aware, the Aeroproducts prop for the P-51K is not the same as the uncuffed Hamilton Standard that appeared late in D-model production. You would need an aftermarket prop from Grey Matter or Red Roo. 

Sorry, quick sketchy answer, I'm just on the way out the door. 

Richard

Man, that flight sim thread you linked is a huge treasure trove of details on all the post-war modifications made to these Mustangs (and apparently their were quite a few).   However, without the pics, it does little from a modeling standpoint.  

Can anyone provide further details (ideally with pictures) on what the radio / battery configuration should be for a Korean War F-51D and (ideally) what needs to be done to the Tamiya kit to get there?    I've got the Barracuda aft cockpit set, gonna be a shame to hack that up but it sounds like it will need to be done.  

25 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

I have drawings and photos I can post later tonight to go with the article to show you what the changes look like. Sorry, was in a hurry this morning and won't be home until tonight. 

Richard

No worries at all!  Thanks for taking the time to help, it's greatly appreciated. 

John

Richard,

If you can, could you post pictures/drawings of the right side of late RCAF Mustangs which had the revised radio and electrical junction panel. Specifically how the radio and ARC control heads were positioned and if the oxygen regulator was updated/relocated. I still have the drawings previously provided but have since been unable to clarify the latter mentioned details.

12 minutes ago, Grizly said:

Richard,

If you can, could you post pictures/drawings of the right side of late RCAF Mustangs which had the revised radio and electrical junction panel. Specifically how the radio and ARC control heads were positioned and if the oxygen regulator was updated/relocated. I still have the drawings previously provided but have since been unable to clarify the latter mentioned details.

Yes, no problem. I have the drawings from the RCAF Engineering Manual. I'll scan them and send them when I get home later tonight...if this snow-storm doesn't strand me somewhere.:)

Edited by R Palimaka

Hello,

The main three details that are needed for a Korean War F-51 are the Zero length Rocket mounts. The Trumpeter mustangs have them, check eBay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292899281023 ).

Uncuffed prop depending your reference pictures, both were used (The Quickboost are the nicer of the few aftermarket ones). Also the ARC-3 radio, for that you are on your own.

2yZYgEJ.png

The ARC-3 in the following picture is missing the cover plate for the dials and relay contacts.

vi8l0UB.jpg

GwUFnkX.jpg

35 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

Some post-war radiator doghouse cooling vent patterns:

mPUz1vcl.jpg

Thank you very much, those pics are fantastic and pretty much answer all my questions..   Disappointing that I'll have to toss some of that nice Barracuda resin and build those avionics units instead.  Any idea which radio setup was more common in Korea?  The ARC-3 or the other one?  Looks like the IFF was standard (along with the control panel in the cockpit which shouldn't be that hard to replicate).   That RF-51D I posted above appears to have the BC-453 radio installed, along with something else fitted between it and the pilot's armor plate.  

Regarding those radiator cooling vents - those I was never aware of.   Anyone know if the Tamiya D/K kit has these?   I don't think I'd be able to replicate them.... 

Also, are they on both sides?

Edited by John1

The cooling vents were not installed on all post-war Mustangs, so if you're lucky you won't have to try to replicate them. They did appear on both sides. As usual if you have a photo of the aircraft you're doing then you'll know for certain. The Tamiya kit doesn't have them, but it's interesting that the panel they are on is a separate piece in the kit. It looks like they were intending to put out a post-war/Korean War version at some point. But they're Tamiya, who knows? :-) 

I had to do it on my 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang build. It was a bit stressful, but I suppose the extra size helped.

EBzj08Bl.jpg

As for the radio fits, I'll do some digging to see what the experts say, I'm not very strong on the USAF in Korea. But just judging from the photos I've seen, there is a mix of equipment back there. And again, at the risk of getting annoying, once you have decided on a set of markings then hopefully there will be photos of the aircraft so you can confirm all those details. 

The one puzzling thing is the cockpit colours. The orders said that they should have been repainted in matte black and the new USAF markings applied as they were overhauled and upgraded for service in Korea or reintroduced to inventory. For some reason not all the cockpits were done in black, many were left in Interior Green...sometimes from the same overhaul facility in the same time period! I think it was done deliberately at the time to confuse model builders 70 years later...or maybe that's just what it feels like. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka