Bf 109G2/R2 Trop of 2.(H)/14, Tunisia

wmoran

Since I got back into the hobby last year, I can't seem to concentrate on just one build.  In addition to the Bf 110D-3 I'm working on for the group build, I just started this Trumpeter kit.

zkchPBT.jpg

I had never used a clear instrument panel before, so I was looking forward to seeing how this one turned out.  Alas, it was not to be.  I had the glass parts of the instruments masked with Vallejo masking fluid, and while I was prepping some other parts for priming, the IP vanished. I think it stuck to my arm or shirt and got carried to some other part of the house.  I will probably find my 'problem' cat playing with it one day.  Luckily, I had an Eduard Bf 109G-6 IP available.  It has an extra panel (external armament controls?) below the main IP, but I figure a photo-recce 109 would have a similar panel for controlling the camera(s).  Here is a pic with the Micro Kristal Clear not yet dry (and a couple of unknown things stuck to the IP):

p5jvv7s.jpg

The kit didn't include the fuel flow inspection line on the starboard sidewall, so I made an attempt at adding one.  Hopefully it will look the part after painting.

ovJlsLr.jpg

That's it for now.

Bill

Nice start on your 109! I'll be following closely since I plan to do a photo recon G-2 in the future as well.

Two minor things on the fuel line:
- The original had a clear part between those two clamps above the circuit breaker. Maybe you can add some clear styrene?

- Do you have any reference on the laying? It appears to me that the fuel line makes a sharp turn in front of the circuit breaker and ends in the cockpit floor.

Cheers

Joachim

Kev, Brian, Dennis & Mark - thanks for the comments.

Joachim - I was using the fuel line from a Hasegawa F-4 as my pattern.  The led wire is not fully glued down yet, so I can move it around when I dry-fit the cockpit into the fuselage.  I was going to try to heat stretch some clear sprue to put in that center section.  If it doesn't work then I will just try to make that center section look clear with some silver and smoke paint.  My references are somewhat limited as I was primarily an armor builder in the past and just did aircraft OOB as a break from a long armor build.

Bill