P-38J Lightning - Revell 1/32

Azgaron

Just a small update! I've painted the engine with grey and then added details in black and gun metal.

39992018553_3bf16992ee_b.jpg

32015537567_ef024bc8d7_b.jpg

Both exhaust pipes fell off while handling the engine. So I hade to increase the contact surfaces somewhat and glue them back.

I'm gonna put a clear cote on and then start with wash and weathering.

Almost done rescribing the fuselage parts and moving on to wings and stabilizer.

Will show some pics once all are done! :)

Håkan

As there was a slight concern about my interior color not being "correct", I did a test mixing black and Hu81, adding one drop each time to each sample.

I noticed that at some point it didn't matter much how much yellow I added, but I don't think that's where I'm going anyway! :)

46957964351_caee56592c_b.jpg

Which mix ratio should I stick with to get a good interior green?

Håkan

Not an easy thing getting the "right" color. Colors change with time and different color batches.

Having a ready mixed color would have been the easiest, but I have no local shop where I can buy just one bottle.

Thinking of ordering a USAAF color set with interior green included, or buying a batch of colors I need within the same postage fee.

Håkan

1 hour ago, Azgaron said:

Not an easy thing getting the "right" color. Colors change with time and different color batches.

Having a ready mixed color would have been the easiest, but I have no local shop where I can buy just one bottle.

Thinking of ordering a USAAF color set with interior green included, or buying a batch of colors I need within the same postage fee.

Håkan

Hey Hakan

Vallejo makes several USAAF color sets. They are (8) 17ml bottle sets check there site under model air sets. They are water based acrylics.

Ron G 

I thinned down the inside of the top engine cowling, and drilled out all the screws around the edges.

I also cut and glued some plastic stripes onto the areas were the cowling is fastened.

46238319524_43fe0d53e4_b.jpg

I will drill those pieces too and try to match the cover. I realised that I need a stripe across the top and drill those holes too.

I cut some plastic to cover the inside of the cooler.

46962672931_c1fa2330bc_b.jpg

I haven't decided yet if I'll cut the movable rear cover.

Håkan

The cockpit got a repaint.

32039876207_d8b5ff0b70_b.jpg

I might do a kind of postshade with a tad brighter color.

The landing gears and tires got cleaned up.

33105518828_2f98084445_b.jpg

I'm a bit uncertain about the circled area.

46067251965_5ccb314404_b.jpg

I think it looks a bit thick. From what I've seen, it's pretty flush, so I'm thinking of thinning down or remove and replace with thinner plastic.

Håkan

Thanks for the info! Nice work on that 48th! :)

I guess they've done like that to simplify the casting.

From what I can see it isn't that short either, as it seems to go all the way to the radiator more or less.

I'll see what I can do. Have to sort that on the other one I've started some years ago.

Håkan