Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair

Robert

Well I put a good solid day in today and got a good chunk of the build complete. 

I’m happy with some of the progress but my rookie skills are starting to get exposed. I really struggled getting the engine and cowling on the fuselage. As you can see by the photos, I didn’t get it on even. I’m not sure how I can fix this at this stage..

The wings are now on and I glued the outers pretty tight to the inners- not sure if I was supposed to leave more of a gap where they fold?

Well soon there will be paint covering some of these mistakes and hopefully that will help. All in all I’m enjoying the build and I’m looking forward to painting. 

6F27F341-A870-4B9D-8CA8-136F7F95FC01.jpe

CEC084DE-A038-4B1C-A12A-2DCF06282895.jpe

196E6020-15FB-469E-9685-0ABAA17E068C.jpe

Edited by Robert

I got some more painting done, all in all I guess I'm somewhat satisfied with the progress. I'm disappointed with a few things on the build so far, most are due to my rookie skills. The front engine/cowling piece is not on correctly. That was purely my fault and I don't know how to correct it at this point. Next, I put the flaps down but wish I had left them up as I prefer the look. Again, I'm not sure if I have the skill to make the change at this point-I'd most likely end up making a big mess of things.

And last, I had a horrible time with some decals shattering into a million pieces. This may be due to older decals or perhaps I didn't let them sit in water long enough. I had to make a last minute change to the Big Hog Navy scheme despite having built a Marine F4U-1A. Those familiar with the aircraft know that there are some small differences. Oh well, close enough for this newbie.

Here's where I'm at now, thanks again for following along and the encouraging comments.

IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

Looking very good!  

If you like the Corsair and want a pair of great books on them, and as Corsair fan, I learned a lot of interesting little tidbits, that you won't find in books like Tillman's Corsair book, or the Squadron Signal books. 

F4U-1 Corsair Volume 1 & 2, by Dana Bell, I got my with gift cards on Amazon, one was a sell-through from Spruebrothers! 

Filled with beautiful detail photos and some rare color shots. 

I really have no idea what I’m doing but boy am I having a blast experimenting and trying new things. 

Most attempts at trying something new have failed but I’ve managed to put together a few acceptable applications and I’ve now got to this stage. 

I took some masking tape, cut it up and painted it white, and used it for the white panel tape. I guess you could call that scratch built haha.

I’ve still got a ton of smaller decals left but I need to get a good gloss coat down. I have Testors dull and gloss spray cans. I’m really hoping I don’t mess all this work up by spraying it with the gloss. Any tips or warnings on using the stuff would be much appreciated. 

I’ve loved every minute of this kit so far and as it begins to wind down, I’m looking forward to my next build. Any suggestions? Thanks

09498C40-1D98-4675-9A18-EAD57BD3B3EE.jpe

395DE822-5DF0-4C1F-BE11-2050A57A2674.jpe

CD7DFFB9-F7CB-4DF6-B9B6-A379FCFAA316.jpe

Edited by Robert