Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair

Robert

Hello everyone. This is my maiden post here on the forum although I’ve been lurking around for about a year now. I really enjoy following the amazing builds on the site, what a talented bunch here.

I’m 43 years old and have been an aviation buff since early childhood. I am new to modelling, as I never had the opportunity when I was a child. One of my favorite toys growing up was an already built Corsair model that I found. It was only the fuselage and wings, the rest had fallen or broken off before I found it. Regardless, I loved it haha. Now some 35 years later I’m building my own Corsair.

I’ve built four 1:48 scale fighters over the past year and I’m now stepping up to 1:32. I’m still very green at this and the only thing I have going for me is I have a cutting mat and I use Tamiya thin cement (so I at least look the part!)B)

I will do my best with this build and I would surely appreciate any feedback. Please don’t be afraid to give it to me, you won’t hurt my feelings. After all, I would like to improve and advice from others will help me tremendously. I may not always make the suggested corrections with this build but I will certainly take the advice for future projects. Hopefully others new at the hobby that are following this thread can pick up some tips from my mistakes.

On to the build. I’m building Tamiya’s 1:32 F4U-1a, everything straight from the box and I’m not adding any scratch built parts. Just keeping my fingers from being glued together will be a challenge enough for me.

I’ve read great things about this kit so I thought it would be a nice introduction for me to larger scale planes. I haven’t decided whether or not to do the engine as I like the look of a closed up bird. So far I have the cockpit pretty much buttoned up. Here’s my progress so far..

Thanks for looking and allowing me to share this build here.

-Robert

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

Edited by Robert

You're gonna love this kit!  I'll be following your work closely.  I know you said you are building it stock but if you have any interest in some really nice aftermarket decals, head over to Fundekals and check out their offerings.   

Great work so far on the cockpit! 

Hi Robert,

It looks very nice so far. If you don't mind, i'd like to point out a couple of things you need to be aware of as your build progresses. None of em have to do with your technique; rather just some quirks of the model you need to be prepared for.

When you glue the left and right fuselage halves together, pay attention to get a straight across joint at the front of the base of the windscreen. If the two haves don't join level with each other (when viewed from the top) you might have fit problems when mounting the windscreen. If you tape the parts together and test fit you'll see exactly what i mean.

When you assemble the outer wing panels, pay close attention to the instructions. There is a sleeve that is nested in the wing without glue, which then slides over the wing spar. If you glue this piece in by accident, the wing will slide onto the spar 3/4 of the way and then get stuck. People have reverted to hacking off the ends of the spar, or scalloping away from their surfaces to make the wing fit.

If you follow the instructions, when you slide on the wings, you will notice the upper surfaces have a gap between .005 and .010., running chord-wise, aft of the main spar.

This is consistent and appears on both wings. You will not have a similar gap on the wing undersides, where they mate to the center section.

when you glue the wing center section to the lower fuselage, you will be left with very fine gaps in front of the  wing leading edge where it mates with the lower fuselage. Those are supposed to be there. The only gaps which need to be filled are in the rear lower fuselage along that angled joint.

Be careful mounting the firewall inside the front fuselage and make sure its seated properly against the ridge. When you glue on the horseshoe shaped "boot cowl" to the front of the fuselage, you will again see a gap where it joins. Do not fill this. Its hard to see when the part is unpainted, but there is very fine Dzus fastener detail which becomes visible after a coat of paint goes on.

The landing gear strut attachment is very strong and positive, but if you test fit the struts, once they go into their sockets, they do not want to come out. Make sure the mounting pins/flanges on the strut are free of paint- and don't forget to install those metal rods!! The weak point of the gear struts is just above the upper torque link on the strut. If you use enamel based weathering washes they will soften and weaken this part until fully dry. Take my advice: do not go there.

Its a lot easier to paint the model if you leave the middle and inboard flaps and horizontal stabilizers off until after painting. Makes it a lot easier to maneuver the airbrush and avoid getting fuzzy overspray in places where it shouldn't be.

When building the engine,  The cowling nose ring in front and the cowling flap ring in back serve as the retainers for the upper and lower cowing segments. Most people who have built the model (myself included) have found the gaps around the front and back to be excessive. This mainly has to do with the engine getting "longer" as its built up, leading to build up of fit errors where each point comes together. Most people have been filling the gaps with Mr Surfacer, white glue, etc.

I hope this is helpful and allows you to continue your build without worry or unwelcome surprises.

-d-

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and kind words. Thank you David for the detailed set of tips, much appreciated. I'm sure those will save me some hassle.

I decided to go ahead and do the engine, what a shame to spend the time and yet it will be mostly hidden from view. In the end I figured it would at least be good practise for this newbie and after all, I guess I would always know that I had cut a corner had I left it incomplete.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Robert

On 1/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, Gazzas said:

Nice work, Robert!

We all love a nicely detailed radial engine....  even if all we can see is a little of it.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. I’m away on business this week in California, I’ll be home later this week and will start back up again. 

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Thanks Gaz. I’m away on business this week in California, I’ll be home later this week and will start back up again. 

Avoid the UC Davis Medical center...  Hellish place!