ICM 1/32 MiG-25 Foxbat?!?

thierry laurent

42 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Whether 1/48 or 1/32, they really NEED to do a basic MiG-25P interceptor.  It’s the only major version, and arguably the most famous version (Belenko’s) of the entire Foxbat family that they haven’t done or announced.

Cant you just cut off the undernose sensor and remove the spotlight from the 1/48 PD/PDS kit to make a P?  The kit comes with alternate R-40 parts, which I believe are for the original R/T versions in addition to the later RD/TD versions.

Edited by Dave Williams

22 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Whether 1/48 or 1/32, they really NEED to do a basic MiG-25P interceptor.  It’s the only major version, and arguably the most famous version (Belenko’s) of the entire Foxbat family that they haven’t done or announced.

They're doing the SEAD variant in 1/48 this year (is that the fourth or fifth boxing?) so may get around to doing the vanilla -25P and -25PU trainer at some stage, though the P was very plainly marked and saw no action. 

Arguably by far the most important variants are the MiG-25RB/RBT etc recces and -25PD/PDS interceptors that have seen combat in the Sinai, Arabian Peninsula, Afghanistan, Chechnya etc. and which offer more interesting markings to embellish the regulation Foxbat grey, not counting a camouflaged recce subvariant.

In 1/32, if it happens, I'd prefer a recce with interior camera pallet and optional SLAR or Elint noses; or a -25PD with PVO, Iraqi and Ukrainian decals. Begemot would be all over it, including a full stencil set. 

Mostly, I'm hoping ICM do a decent Su-15TM Flagon before too long. An accurate Flagon is very seriously needed, in any double-digit scale.

Tony 

5 hours ago, Tony T said:

Having three of the 1/48 ICM Foxbats and built (almost) one of them, I can attest to the accuracy of the models and - way more important to the 1/32 rumour - the kits' almost "flat pack" engineering which lends extremely well to scaling up without the use of complex deep moulds.

A 1/32 Foxbat seems a natural to me, given the HUGE success of their MiG-25s in both 1/48 and 1/72 scales.

Just please, if this is true, provide a more positive join for the stabilators and include its actuator arms, and consider a metal insert for the MLG legs.

To close I think it's still vapourware but is maybe 18 months away, like the rumoured KH 1/32 Voodoo.

Tony

I'd buy a 32nd Foxbat (regardless of varient) in NY minute

No matter what or who or how, but looking at AM products for a "misterious"kit to be released, at the cost they are presented  it's waaaay tooooo much.

But ofcourse having a Foxbat in 1/32 scale would be awesome.............when hell freezes over i might say.......

The 3D printed set is pricey for sure, but the thing that interests me is that it's for the short nozzle which suggests — if the rumour holds true — that it's going to be a MiG-25PD/PDS interceptor.

I could give an ICM 1/32 Foxbat almost as much love as the vapourware-going-metal Tan Model Su-33 Sea Flanker.

Tony the optimist

If the early parabrake housing can be sourced (or swapped), then it doesn't look like it would be too hard to make a P from a PD/PDS...no?  A matter of scribing panel lines in different locations...?

I seem to recall from a similar discussion on ARC (I think it was), that Lt. Belenko was regarded as a traitor in the (former) Soviet Union - which Ukraine (home of ICM) was then a part of.  For that reason, and the fact that the P wasn't widely produced or exported, it is probbably not likely to see that as a released version.  Having said that, Begemot have made decals of Red-31 in 1:72 and I believe 1:48, so they think there is a small market for those who want to add Belenko's last ride to their collection.

Edited by jenshb

1 hour ago, Tomcatfreak said:

The Foxbat parts at Shapeways are there for years now. There is no MiG-25 in 1/32 planned...

Sadly, I believe you're right, but never say never as ICM are doing a lot more 1/32 now. 

39 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

That plane is big but not that difficult to release as a kit because it was not made of a lot of complex curves. Actually, it is somewhat similar to the Vigilante. You can see a lot of nearly flat surfaces. 

The ICM kit is definitely "flat pack". It mostly comprises wings, fins, slabbed sides and frames to mount them on. Even the nozzles need making from segments. 

Nice dream though. 

Tony

On 1/18/2019 at 2:02 PM, thierry laurent said:

However, as ICM has all the capabilities to release a good MiG, I cannot conclude anything for sure. Moreover, manufacturers are more and more reluctant to announce the new kits.

I think hiding future releases increases the risk of seeing another manufacturer producing the same kit at the same time and being released together, as it happened recently when we were surprised by two 1/32 Lancasters ...

On the other hand, announcing future releases does not interfere with other manufacturers. In 1/48 scale we saw Special Hobby promising a Tracker and a Hawkeye kits many years before Kinetic came on the market ... 

Edited by FCM