Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Some disheartening news from Revell

16 hours ago, CANicoll said:

The Revell P-51 seems to be back on back order, but is till listed at less than $25 from SprueBrothers and Scale Model Hobbyist.  Would be VERY Interesting to get the fillet tail.  If I could get that NOW I'd do Duchess Arlene on that kit rather than the Tamiya kit.

Chris

That is simply the last price they had when it was in stock.  Doesn’t mean that a restock of the kit would be at the same price.  Might be.  Might not.

Currently the price of the kit on Revell’s web Page is 40 Euro, which is over $45 USD, so I’m thinking the next batch imported will be priced higher.

Edited by Dave Williams

Well, I unfortunately realized that the quality of their support changed as well whereas I have always been satisfied in the past. I purchased a TIE fighter for my son during a Modelling exhibition. I did not receive a purchase ticket but realized at home we had a C3PO figure rather than an imperial pilot. Useless to say the boy was disappointed. As I had not the reseller ticket I proposed to Revell to send them pictures. When they got them they told me that they had no other pilot. Then, I re-explained the issue and they simply replied my box was exceptional, ultra-rare! Wow, so I was lucky to have an ultra-rare edition with another figure! I insisted on asking what I should do to get the correct one and never got a final reply... Go figure... 

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I have a good friend who, although he's an independent contractor, has made his living doing CAD kit design for primarily for Revell for several years.  Basically they've given him no new work for 2019, after no new work in 2018, and have essentially said that Revell is being taken in the direction of being a toy company, not a model company.  Once they get the much-delayed FA-18 out (he's got stories about that fiasco - CAD was done over 3 years ago), it seems like the only things were likely to see from them are new versions of existing kits like the P-51D, Me262, etc.  No new tools on the horizon.

Has this news been publicly announced by Revell? If not, I would take it with a grain of salt, as you could be spreading false rumour! False rumours could hurt sales, and imagine if there were rumours about Fundekals? I bet you wouldn't be happy!

Edited by Dave J

Another line of thought is just maybe Revell wants to use someone else to do this work, but does not want to burn that bridge just yet by telling him his services are no longer needed.  I've seen this played out many times in businesses.

18 hours ago, AlanG said:

Is Revell pricing themselves out of the market? Their kits are great value (although some on here think they aren't worthy of making - obviously below them). It will be a sad day if they do stop.

How can they be pricing themselves out the market?  I dropped a heck of a lot of money on the Tamiya Corsair (worth it though), Revell's kits don't come close to the T's pricing.   I really don't believe that they are pricing themselves out of the market.   Actually, I really thought their P-51 was under-priced.  Not sure how they could turn a profit at the original price they were selling these kits at. 

3 minutes ago, John1 said:

How can they be pricing themselves out the market?  I dropped a heck of a lot of money on the Tamiya Corsair (worth it though), Revell's kits don't come close to the T's pricing.   I really don't believe that they are pricing themselves out of the market.   Actually, I really thought their P-51 was under-priced.  Not sure how they could turn a profit at the original price they were selling these kits at. 

The Revvie P-51 may not be perfect, but I thought its initial run of $25-ish was well WELL worth it. I may have even thought it also was a bit low. Not sure it had anything to do with their issues though. 

17 hours ago, AlanG said:

Is Revell pricing themselves out of the market? Their kits are great value (although some on here think they aren't worthy of making - obviously below them). It will be a sad day if they do stop.

You have to count Revell kit's into the range of price value versus quality. No other manufacturer can do better in this range then Revell. Their price is very sharp regarding price-quality kit's and they are still doing fine in that segment. Sad to here that they staggered regarding their modeling kit's. People who said that Revell kit's aren't worthy of making, are just fooling themselves. Why, well it's simple, you won't pay much for a Revell kit, so if thing's went wrong, you still didn't pay much for that kit. On the other hand, most of us forget that they are practicing a hobby which is called scale modeling.......yeah, right, building scale models, not real ones:rolleyes:. But ok, i understand that there are builders that lay the bar very high for themselves, that said, without stepping on someones toe's, for some of us Revell kit's will never be good enough to build, but for me i always liked them. I even ordered five minutes ago the Dessert Storm Tornado Gr.1.:punk:

18 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I have a good friend who, although he's an independent contractor, has made his living doing CAD kit design for primarily for Revell for several years.  Basically they've given him no new work for 2019, after no new work in 2018, and have essentially said that Revell is being taken in the direction of being a toy company, not a model company.  Once they get the much-delayed FA-18 out (he's got stories about that fiasco - CAD was done over 3 years ago), it seems like the only things were likely to see from them are new versions of existing kits like the P-51D, Me262, etc.  No new tools on the horizon.

HI Jennings,

Clarification request,   is the hi lighted phrase above your friends opinion or has he been told this as fact?  

Edited by ghatherly

15 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

You have to count Revell kit's into the range of price value versus quality. No other manufacturer can do better in this range then Revell. Their price is very sharp regarding price-quality kit's and they are still doing fine in that segment. Sad to here that they staggered regarding their modeling kit's. People who said that Revell kit's aren't worthy of making, are just fooling themselves. Why, well it's simple, you won't pay much for a Revell kit, so if thing's went wrong, you still didn't pay much for that kit. On the other hand, most of us forget that they are practicing a hobby which is called scale modeling.......yeah, right, building scale models, not real ones:rolleyes:. But ok, i understand that there are builders that lay the bar very high for themselves, that said, without stepping on someones toe's, for some of us Revell kit's will never be good enough to build, but for me i always liked them. I even ordered five minutes ago the Dessert Storm Tornado Gr.1.:punk:

Heck ya!   I'm a big fan of Tamiya just cause their kits are simply the best but before I get slagged as a snob, I want to make it clear that Revell's stuff is eminently build-able and provides outstanding  "bang for the buck".  Plus, unless T starts releasing more LS kits, anyone who releases kits into this market is welcome.   

The only exception to the above would be Revell's 109G-6.   Sorry but that one is a dog.   If you are in the "pretty much looks like a Gustav" camp, disregard but otherwise, this kit missed so many basic features of the G-6 as to render it unbuildable (unless you feel like purchasing a bunch of resin).   The other recent kits have some issues but nothing to stop you from building a top-notch model. 

As the Brits say, "hear, hear." The Revell Spitty was declared "unbuildable" by more than a few here, yet I have seen some fine jobs that look fabulous.

Will the WNW Lanc be better? Perhaps. But until we see it (and at what price), it's foolish to bash excessively the HK kit IMO.

It's not that much of a disaster. I'd love to be able to afford one and have it on much shelf (built naturally). But i'm not a self-confessed rivet counter. Power to those that are but i am not skilled enough to be one.

But back to Revell if i may. I hope they do continue bringing out models (particularly LSP ones). I am on a minimum wage job and they are the top end of my price range and build skills. I find they look great when built OOB. Don't get me wrong i like to add a little AM (seatbelts and pre-print instruments occasionally) but because of my limited skills i think they are just nice for me

As I've mentioned in other threads, CSM and Wingnut have shown us you can take a new, tiny company, and bang out some damn fine model kits.

Then other model companies can't get out of their own way for decades!  Reading some of Jenning's comments about Revell's "old ways" I feel like maybe they should pursue toy making.

I am not interested in clinging to bad model companies; I'm interested in attracting new, good companies to the industry.

7 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Another line of thought is just maybe Revell wants to use someone else to do this work, but does not want to burn that bridge just yet by telling him his services are no longer needed.  I've seen this played out many times in businesses.

That's not the case here.