Pup7309

Your favourite paints?

for the airbrush i go with Tamiya , Gunze , MR color or MRP , using gunze yellow label thinner .

for paintbrushes its Vallejo and co (AK/AMMO)

I used Gunze acrylics in the 1980s and 1990s, but what I discovered (after much hair-pulling) is that while they spray fine, you can't (or at least I can't) ever fix any boo-boos with them.  When you sand them, no matter how fine the sandpaper is, you never get a truly feathered edge.  It's like there's a plastic coating on the model, and you always end up with a visible edge to your repair that's visible under subsequent layers of paint.  Since I make a lot of boo-boos, I quit using them for that reason.

I'm really liking MRP.

Airbrushing:  MRP, Alclad, Tamiya acrylics, Mr. Color lacquer, AK Interactive "Real Colors", anything that isn't a "true acrylic."

Brush painting: the true acrylics!  Lifecolor is fantastic for brushing, sprays horribly.  MiG, Vallejo, AK Interactive, anything in a plastic squeeze bottle with a nipple on top usually brushes very well.

What I spray the most, by far, is Tamiya acrylics thinned with Mr. Color leveling thinner; that combo sprays as well as anything on the planet. 

21 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I'm really liking MRP.

Funny lot we modelers are.................

At first I was liking MRP but my complaint was that I didnt like that it was pre-thinned. I still dont like the fact that the paint is super expensive for what you get, but now after a year or more of using the paint consistently, that pre-thinning out of the bottle is one of the things I love about the paint now.

I never used to get my thinning mixes very consistent, but with MRP I dont even worry about thinning. 

Airbrushing: 

1. Best spraying - Tamiya/Vallejo
  2. Best colour - Xtracrylx
  3. Best metallic - Alclad/Mr.Metal color

Brushing:

1. Vallejo/Humbrol enamel

5 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I love Xtracrylics as well.  I thin them with distilled water and they spray perfectly.

Never tried distilled water. I have some Xtracrilix thinner but i find it hit and miss. I might have to give it a go again to see if it was just me (more than likely)

I haven't tried their Allies colours yet but their RLM colours imho are fantastic. Now if i can get them to spray properly then with your suggestion then i feel it will be my 'go to' paint. Although Tamiya is still amazing for spraying.

Wow great feedback!

Dont need to throw out the old Humbrol and model master paints

(agree with previous comment about Humbrol smell !)

But plenty of ideas for new paints! Thanks!

15 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I love Xtracrylics as well.  I thin them with distilled water and they spray perfectly.

15 hours ago, AlanG said:

Never tried distilled water. I have some Xtracrilix thinner but i find it hit and miss. I might have to give it a go again to see if it was just me (more than likely)

15 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

David Hannant himself told me to try distilled water.

I just use warm tap water and it’s free.

14 hours ago, Stevepd said:

I just use warm tap water and it’s free.

I would but I've got a gallon jug of distilled water under the bench.

I think it cost 99 cents and I'm too lazy to get up and go to the sink  :rolleyes:

I  use Mr.Color and Mr. Hobby reduced with acrylic lacquer automotive thinner, or Model Master Enamel when painting modern US jets. For metal I used Alclad but now I am a KColors worshiper.