Your favourite paints?

Pup7309

On 1/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, is it windy yet? said:

Who can keep track of all the brands?  Every time I look in a big shop or a magazine there is another newest and greatest.  Lacquers, enamels, acrylic, too much. Every time I get accustomed to a brand, it gets discontinued, or not easily distributed to retail stores. The only constant paint I never had an issue finding and using is Tamiya. Luckily it is such a great paint, just wish there were more pre mixed colours. I’ve said good bye to Polly Scale, Aeromaster as they are gone now. Gunze, and Xtracrilics are too hard to find. I’ve said good riddance to too many brands to remember. 

A bit surprised that no one has said Mission Models Paint, it seems to be for sale everywhere. I’ve used it a few times and after some original choice words and phrases for it, getting quite accustomed to using it successfully. 

Gunze is hard to find? try ebay from Hongkong, free shipping mostly

13 hours ago, blackbetty said:

Gunze is hard to find? try ebay from Hongkong, free shipping mostly

A fine suggestion depending on where you live. Canada has one of the lowest de minimis in the world, making international ordering very costly. Secondly any paint but especially water based paints do not ship particularly well in temperatures in the -30C range, a temperature we are currently facing.  In fact a previous restock order for the local hobby shop needed to be discarded due to freezing, 200 plus bottles needed to thrown away. So ordering paint from outside Canada makes sense in the summer, when I’m not painting or building models. 

3 minutes ago, is it windy yet? said:

any paint but especially water based paints do not ship particularly well in temperatures in the -30C range, a temperature we are currently facing.  In fact a previous restock order for the local hobby shop needed to be discarded due to freezing, 200 plus bottles needed to thrown away. So ordering paint from outside Canada makes sense in the summer, when I’m not painting or building models. 

That's not something I would generally think about but would definitely have an adverse impact for sure. 

10 hours ago, is it windy yet? said:

A fine suggestion depending on where you live. Canada has one of the lowest de minimis in the world, making international ordering very costly. Secondly any paint but especially water based paints do not ship particularly well in temperatures in the -30C range, a temperature we are currently facing.  In fact a previous restock order for the local hobby shop needed to be discarded due to freezing, 200 plus bottles needed to thrown away. So ordering paint from outside Canada makes sense in the summer, when I’m not painting or building models. 

didnt think of that either....

• 4 weeks later...