HB B24 discussion: Inaccuracies.

Pup7309

On 1/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, Alburymodeler said:

I expect this will be a long thread.......

It’s funny I started this thread because so many people were critical of the kits’ faults and others were taking umbrage at that criticism.

But so far no take up!...oh well, everything must have been covered, on with the fixes...

Edited by Pup7309

On props:

Props diameter is too small by about 5 scale inches.  Thats about 2mm per blade. Doesn't sound like much but it means the props are undersize by about 5%.

Prop boss diameter is also undersize by 1mm.  This is actually quite a bit more noticeable when comparing to pictures of the real thing.

Prop blade shape is off from the hub to about the middle of the blade. The blade is flared much too widely near the hub.  The maximum blade width should be at a point near the middle of the blade.  In fact, the width of the kit blades at the middle point is dead on right.  It's just that the segment between the middle and the Hub is mishappen and too wide. The blades could be filed to shape or hopefully Quickboost will produce some better blades.

Prop hub dimensions generally seemed okay other than the boss.  The outer halves of the blades also seem good for shape other than the issue of the entire blade being too short overall.

Edited by titan

On wingtips:

The wingtip is way too thick. Honestly this was more noticeable to me than the airfoil cross-section issue. As I've been trying to work a fix for the airfoil I'm finding that forcing the wingtips into a narrower shape may be next to impossible due to the way the wings are molded and internal stresses in the plastic; even after stripping out all the internal ribbing. At this point my solution is to slice the wingtips off and 3D print new ones. Alternatively you could do some very careful thinning of both the leading and trailing edges though I fear that in order to get the wingtips thin enough you would need to remove so much material that you would alter the shape of the wing in plan view. 

Also the kit wingtips have both -J and -D navigation lights molded on.  Personally I'm fine with this. I find it much easier to remove the light for the version I don't need then to scratchbuild a light for the version I do need that isn't there.  I just the wish the instructions mentioned that the modeler needs to do that. For a B-24H or later delete the lights on the tops and bottoms of the wingtips and just leave the ones on the outer edges.

Edited by titan

1 hour ago, titan said:

On wingtips:

The wingtip is way too thick. Honestly this was more noticeable to me than the airfoil cross-section issue. As I've been trying to work a fix for the airfoil I'm finding that that forcing the wingtips into a narrower shape may be next to impossible due to the way the wings are molded and internal stresses in the plastic; 

So how many mm ‘s is it out? It’s visually more noticeable than the wingroot?

Edited by Pup7309

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched a utube video where the presenter mentioned at the beginning there had been talk about the problems with the turrets and he said he would come to that later.. 1/2 an hour later he got to the clear parts and brushed over it and didn’t say anything!

It was just an add to sell the kit! 

Are you serous?! I don’t care if the review is easy or harsh but don’t mislead people. And guess what no ability to comment, so I’m doing it here. I’m sure people would have said what they thought. What a joke.

sorry just had to vent about it :blowup:

Engines:  Kit engines are practically 2-D and belong on a kit made in 1975.   Some may be fine with this but in 32nd, to me - it's a major issue.   The fix is available though, Vector (and I'm guessing other manufacturers) offer very nicely detailed resin engines.   Cost will be significant as will the time to add hundreds of polystyrene pushrods but  for those that want a realistic engine, there is a fix. 

16 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I just watched a utube video where the presenter mentioned at the beginning there had been talk about the problems with the turrets and he said he would come to that later.. 1/2 an hour later he got to the clear parts and brushed over it and didn’t say anything!

It was just an add to sell the kit! 

Are you serous?! I don’t care if the review is easy or harsh but don’t mislead people. And guess what no ability to comment, so I’m doing it here. I’m sure people would have said what they thought. What a joke.

sorry just had to vent about it :blowup:

I've foolishly sat through those I-love-the-sound-of-my-voice-but-I-never-learned-presentation-skills so-called reviews where, at the end, I learnt 100x more by squinting at the vimeo with the sound off and finger on the pause button. Utter friggin' drivel most of them. They very seldom know the difference between their @$$hole and a hole in the ground when it comes to subject knowledge. 

Bring back Fanny Craddock.

Some YouTube presentations are, however, indispensible - especially the fixing appliances ones.

Tony