HB B24 discussion: AM and fixes

Pup7309

40 minutes ago, airscale said:

Incredible! yes, lots of trade orders earlier today, but the first retail sale of the B24 was to you, just as it was for the Lanc :)

a theme I am very happy with :)

Peter

Yeah. Well happy with that. Thanks Peter look forward to seeing in the flesh. Can start my build now as well :D:D

4 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Out of curiosity, what's the size comparison between the B-25 and B-24 nose wheels? The Brassin B-25 wheel set sure is nice... but would it work?

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Hey Dennis

No the B-24's took an S36 tire the same as the main tires on the P-38. You can use the Aires ones for the P-38 but you will have to remove the brake detail off of the back of the wheel. True details make aset for the Hobbyboss B-24 but they are the type with a hub cap.

Ron G 

2 hours ago, RonGUSA said:

Hey Dennis

No the B-24's took an S36 tire the same as the main tires on the P-38. You can use the Aires ones for the P-38 but you will have to remove the brake detail off of the back of the wheel. True details make aset for the Hobbyboss B-24 but they are the type with a hub cap.

Ron G 

Thanks Ron! I wasn't sure... was just thumbing through my HK B-25H last night, and saw that super nice Brassin wheel/tire looking back at me, and I thought, "Boy, that sure looks like it could be the right size..." but alas, it is not.

Those True Details wheels are absolutely atrocious. They look more like off-road vehicle tires than aircraft tires, and the distance between the wheel hub and the brake assembly is gigantic. Guess I'll be patient and wait for Brassin to (hopefully) release a set dedicated to the HobbyBoss B-24 kits. Perhaps they are waiting for the D to come out so they can get all of us in one fell swoop.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Got an instrument panel (Thank you AirScale!).  Ordered a bombsight....the kit has no seat belts.   Seriously.

Not a big deal for the bombardier/nav/radio positions as I can scratch those.   But did the Lib have just lap belts for the pilot/co pilot or a full harness?

Hard to tell from photos I've been seeing.

Cheers,

Tim W.

Hey Tim 

If your talking about turrets, no luck as of yet. There are canopy masks from DNA, decals for a few birds, instrument panel from Airscale and brass landing gear inserts which are copys of the kit inserts. There are full metal casts of the kits gear, but they are white metal and with 300 to 350 grams of weight in the nose they will fold up like Japanese origami.

Ron G 

10 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

Hey Tim 

If your talking about turrets, no luck as of yet. There are canopy masks from DNA, decals for a few birds, instrument panel from Airscale and brass landing gear inserts which are copys of the kit inserts. There are full metal casts of the kits gear, but they are white metal and with 300 to 350 grams of weight in the nose they will fold up like Japanese origami.

Ron G 

Thanks--I've heard some rumors about Brassin, haven't seen anything concrete anywhere. 

Hopefully I can get an extra tail turret from someone/somewhere and I can work with that.  Got the Airscale instruments and have some resin radios and a bombsight  on order.

We'll see, I guess!

Cheers,

Tim W

Hey Tim 

Make sure you use the brass inserts for the landing gear, there only about 20 bucks. And are well worth it. They are from Aeroscale I believe. You need to add so much weight to the front of this that the kits gear without the brass inserts won't hold up the weight. You can see from the way Hobbyboss made the landing gear that they wanted to make the inserts out of metal but rushed the kit to market with plastic inserts.

You can contact HB and see if you can get a replacement rear turret and use it for the front one. Hobbyboss supposedly is replacing the frosted front turrets with corrected ones if you contact them. I found this out here and on LSM.

If you go to LSM and check out posts from Crankycrafstman (thats me) you can see the issues with the landing gear. 

Ron G 

19 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

Hey Tim 

Make sure you use the brass inserts for the landing gear, there only about 20 bucks. And are well worth it. They are from Aeroscale I believe. You need to add so much weight to the front of this that the kits gear without the brass inserts won't hold up the weight. You can see from the way Hobbyboss made the landing gear that they wanted to make the inserts out of metal but rushed the kit to market with plastic inserts.

You can contact HB and see if you can get a replacement rear turret and use it for the front one. Hobbyboss supposedly is replacing the frosted front turrets with corrected ones if you contact them. I found this out here and on LSM.

If you go to LSM and check out posts from Crankycrafstman (thats me) you can see the issues with the landing gear. 

Ron G 

Thanks, I did read that.  I thought about adding a metal boarding ladder to the aft entry hatch like on the old Monogram kit, but am not sure if that's feasible.

Will be getting the metal inserts, though.  Rather surprised they didn't have something like Trumpeter does with this kit, e.g., choice of metal landing gear.

Cheers,

Tim W