HB B24 discussion: AM and fixes

Pup7309

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I can measure the wheel/tire/strut sizes when I’m down at Pima next time.  Their B-24J is at ground level, as is the PB4Y-2.

Ok but don’t spend too much time doing it

You should be devoting your time to a B-24 decal set

;)

12 hours ago, Plm said:

It  seems that the Hobby Boss Kit is not the good block version for the Dragon and his tail version.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Can’t use those on the HB kit unless their drawings are wildly inaccurate.  The problem with B-24 model kits (as I have pointed out many times before) is that B-24s had literally hundreds of variations and sub-variations.

Blah, blah, blah. All we see on here is the endless "this is wrong, that is wrong, it's the wrong block type etc.etc."
Well after reading most of the other thread and now this on decals and sets no even released, I am seriously over all this. I'd held off buying the kit because of the stated errors but this is just over the top as it seems nothing will be good enough for the "experts".

Well I don't care and will be buying the kit today and to answer the above about the DKDecals "Can’t use those on the HB kit". well YES you can, you build the kit and put the decals on, problem solved. Point out the issues with a kit by all means but when we get to the point of being told, you "Can't use this or that" well that's just too much.

I'd just like to ask the Mr.Hobby Booboo's of the World just which 1:32 B-24 kit will you be buying seeing as this one is such a pile of rubbish? 
I would also hazard a guess that most people looking at a built "the dragon and his tail" at a model show or club meeting wouldn't know or care that it's "not the right block version" either.

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Can’t use those on the HB kit unless their drawings are wildly inaccurate.  The problem with B-24 model kits (as I have pointed out many times before) is that B-24s had literally hundreds of variations and sub-variations.  When you pick one (and only one) for a model kit, you automatically eliminate about 98% of possible decal choices.  If a B-24 kit were intelligently, thoughtfully designed, with lots of modularity in the molds and lots (and lots, and lots, and lots) of optional parts, you could go a long way toward doing most of them.  But this is Hobby Booboo.  

Of course you can use them.

Only 0.2% of the community know about the innumerable different variations in Liberators or care that a pitot tube is in the wrong place or the framing on the tail turret is incorrect for that individual model.

The majority of the community are happy to have a 1/32 Liberator its a pity your glass is fully empty outlook pops up to tell people what they cant do and we are all wrong and Hobbyboss are to be blamed for not including another half box of optional parts.

You cant be serious can you?..oh thats right you just dont like Trumpeter/Hobbyboss..

You just cant help yourself to criticize a Trumpeter/Hobbyboss kit for missing the 8 extra sprues it would take to satisfy you increasing the price massively however you failed to criticize HK Models for missing the 2 parts for the two major Lancaster canopy variations..how surprising.

Everyone knows Liberators had more variations than you can point a stick at and most will be happy to see some AM stuff to fill the gap of the huge variations. Many dont care...

But please the company you represent failed to include 2 parts that are a massive omission on the Lancaster which is double the price so how about you worry about HK Models mistakes first before you heap criticism on another manufacturer.

Glass houses et al...

TBH Darren and Jennings, I am not overly fussed that windows might be in the wrong place, or turrets are frosted and unusable maybe due to a join line. I will happily cut new windows etc. But if I was doing Dragon and His Tail I would not just plonk them onto the kit if it is not correct in that area. Of course I could, and many will, but I think many of us here are trying to achieve a somewhat higher standard. I am somewhat bemused that many here fret about Me 109 spinners and blades being a tad off and spend $20 on replacements, but seem not concerned that the B-24 sort of has a B-17 wing on it. If that is not a serious mistake then I don't know what is. Maybe it is fixable, maybe not. But for many that issue seems to have become "nothing to see here, move along"

I'm a bit confused about the suggestion that the kit should have additional sprues or whatever to enable different variants to be made.

Maybe I'm getting behind the times but we have dealt with this and continue to deal with this on many other kits using aftermarket, scratchbuilding and looking at tweak lists that tell us how to change things so it complies with "block xxx or version xxx" or whatever.

I'm not talking about major differences as in a lot of cases kits are made for those circumstances and a D is on the way for the B24.

If something needs changing to make it hyper-accurate for a version then use what is called modelling skills to achieve it IF you wish to.

It seems to me that times have changed and in some cases there is a perception that the kit should fall out of the box and not need anything else other than gluing it together.

1 hour ago, Pup7309 said:

Hey guys just remember there is a alternative post for kit criticism...

Exactly the reason this one was started to get away from the criticism. :thumbsup:

It's a shame people can't offer constructive criticism or views about aftermarket without having yet another swipe at the kit per se.

Edited by PhilB

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Perhaps the phrasing wasn’t so great but I actually appreciate Jennings’ post.

i would like to know what mark is appropriate for said decals etc

Let people know, and then they can decide for themselves, rather than just try to hide the truth

Bingo. As was pointed out above, the general modeling community members who know about and/or can tell the difference between the various subtleties  of each variant and sub-variant is quite low. 

Even though I may not know the exact differences between each, Im generally not fussed by adding or changing things to suite, or in some cases, just leaving things alone.  However, I would like to know that info as well, then make my own determination on what if anything needs to be changed to suite. 

5 hours ago, PhilB said:

I'm a bit confused about the suggestion that the kit should have additional sprues or whatever to enable different variants to be made.

Maybe I'm getting behind the times but we have dealt with this and continue to deal with this on many other kits using aftermarket, scratchbuilding and looking at tweak lists that tell us how to change things so it complies with "block xxx or version xxx" or whatever.

I'm not talking about major differences as in a lot of cases kits are made for those circumstances and a D is on the way for the B24.

If something needs changing to make it hyper-accurate for a version then use what is called modelling skills to achieve it IF you wish to.

It seems to me that times have changed and in some cases there is a perception that the kit should fall out of the box and not need anything else other than gluing it together.

Also a bingo. For each of those tiny sub-variations, I think it is generally within all our wheelhouses to get those small things done. I think it takes some basic skills to make some of the stuff. 

I think a lot of the "fall out of the box" perceptions come from modelers being spoiled by the likes of new tool Tamiya LSPs that are generally  hyper accurate, and have some of the best fit in the business.  I think that has spoiled some of us for all kits to be "shake and bake"

Gentlemen:

Since this forum is dedicated to AM and fixes for the HB B-24, I'd like to suggest that we observe a policy of " if you can't say anything constructive, don't say anything at all".  The shortcomings of this kit have been covered in detail elsewhere and continuing to rehash them serves no useful purpose other than to stir up discontent.  In keeping with this, I'd like to pass on a reply to an email that I received from Profimodeller yesterday.  I asked them if they were considering producing upgrade parts for the B-24 -- specifically, the turrets and engines.  They replied, yes, they are looking into it but hadn't decided yet which parts to make.          

3 minutes ago, Propwash said:

They replied, yes, they are looking into it but hadn't decided yet which parts to make.          

YAY! If someone could come up with a set of nice turrets (resin not vac preferably) I think that and a set of wheels (already pointed out as being released soon) would be my two needed AM pieces so far. 

I would love to see a conversion set to make it a B-24H.  From what I understand the top turret is an A3B instead of an A3C.  Front turret is an Emerson instead of a Consolidated (not sure what the visual difference is). The bombardiers nose glass is angled back instead of vertical,  and the waist gun positions had plexiglass enclosures.  None of these are easily scratch built as they all include clear parts.

If they can produce turret fixed for the J maybe they could add these to the list.:hmmm: 

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

34 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

YAY! If someone could come up with a set of nice turrets (resin not vac preferably) I think that and a set of wheels (already pointed out as being released soon) would be my two needed AM pieces so far. 

Wheels are already out.  True Details (Squadron) has both the spoked and covered wheel sets available.