1917 Sopwith Camel by Model Airways

Garage21

43 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

A pencil or plumbing torch (butane powered or other) for sweating plumbing pipe VS say a soldering gun/iron with a hot tip using conductive heat.

Thanks, Brian. So it's still soldering, but using a torch instead of an iron as the heat source, right?

Kev

Sorry Kevin.  Didn't mean to confuse.  I just found that seeing the flame gives me a lot more control and accuracy.  When I used to use a soldering iron, I could never get the metal hot enough or I ended up heating a far bigger area than I wanted to.  I have much more success with a gas torch when I'm soldering.  When I use a torch, I can make things much hotter a lot faster.

Edited by Garage21

Wow!  Stupid Mistake!  Just realized that I went off the model plans and not the actual Sopwith Camel plans when I fabricated the rear stabilizer.  The design and specs in the kit are completely wrong (big surprise).  To be fair, Model Airways had to make some concessions to scale when they did the kit, but there is a lot of detail missing.  

Off to the Metal Supermarket to get more brass stock and then...  Starting Over.

Stay tuned.

2 hours ago, Garage21 said:

Wow!  Stupid Mistake!  Just realized that I went off the model plans and not the actual Sopwith Camel plans when I fabricated the rear stabilizer.  The design and specs in the kit are completely wrong (big surprise).  To be fair, Model Airways had to make some concessions to scale when they did the kit, but there is a lot of detail missing.  

Off to the Metal Supermarket to get more brass stock and then...  Starting Over.

Stay tuned.

Lesson learned, eh?  ;) 

Second attempt at rear end using actual blue prints proved to be much more successful.  The outer line across the rear wing and rear stabilizer is a perfect continuation from one component to the next.  Only way I could figure out how to do that was to build both pieces as a single assembly and then split them when done.  This way everything should align perfectly.

Pictures are post fabrication but pre-cleanup.

G21.

0203%2001

0203%2002

0203%2003

The new piece is a few cm larger however as I went off the measurements of the Sopwith Company blueprints and not the plans that came with the Model Airways kit..

Edited by Garage21

I was not pleased with the overall look of the rear assembly so I started a new one today.  I wanted to capture the two-piece outer struts and the retaining straps on the outside edge and the piece I was working on just wasn't doing it for me.  The last picture shows the one I did last week (bottom) and the new one I did today (top).  I like the overall shape, proportions and "sleekness" of the new one much better.

Once all the sanding and polishing is done, i'll use 1mm stainless steel rivets on the retaining straps which have been drilled out with a #70 bit.

I'll finish up these two pieces and start the rudder tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

G21.

0209%2002

0209%2003

0209%2004

0209%2005

0209%2007

0209%2006

Edited by Garage21