Mirage 5 from Italeri Mirage IIIE/R?

MikeC

I was thinking ("which is something a man should not do"*) and was wondering what would be involved in turning the Italeri Mirage III E/R into a 5.  I'm inclining towards a Belgian 5BR, but I'm not entirely sure what the differences are other than the nose.  And is anyone aware of any current or forthcoming aftermarket for this kit to enable a conversion?  Or better still, whether Italeri are likely to oblige in due course.  Also interested whether getting hold of an old Revell boxing (I know they did a couple of Mirage 5 variants on their kit) might be worth it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

* 10 brownie points for the film and the character, but please don't go too far o/t. :)

Mike I’m doing the same thing and I’ve posted on here if you search (sorry on the iPad in work). There is a french company that does a conversions in 3 sets seats/cockpit/decals (renaissance I think), but in my thread it was highlighted about the nose and somebody on here (Harold) was looking at cast some more accurate pieces.

No idea about the film though.

Steve.

Edited by Stevepd
Added Harold- I forgot his name!

1 hour ago, Stevepd said:

Mike I’m doing the same thing and I’ve posted on here if you search (sorry on the iPad in work). There is a french company that does a conversions in 3 sets seats/cockpit/decals (renaissance I think), but in my thread it was highlighted about the nose and somebody on here was looking at cast some more accurate pieces.

No idea about the film though.

Steve.

Steve, thanks. I'll have a look for your thread, not sure how I missed it.

31 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Excellent, many thanks Gents. :thumbsup:

The film?  Major Stovall in Twelve o'Clock Highhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/characters/nm0415591

(See first quote from the link.)

I was thinking that: it's on Film Four at 13:20 today (14:20 on +1)

I believe Harold has also been whittling and fettling Mirage 5 bits.

Tony

Mirage 5 ok, but can we PLEASE have a Nesher conversion for the Italeril Mirage , Pretty please... and yes I know Isralacsst did a set back in the early 2000s, but its long Oop

And here in the UK , I've just finished watching @12 O'Clock High@, with the Oscar Winner Dean Jagger  not thinking!

ColinR

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

Excellent, many thanks Gents. :thumbsup:

The film?  Major Stovall in Twelve o'Clock Highhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/characters/nm0415591

(See first quote from the link.)

An excellent movie, no doubt, as is "Command Decision". If memory serves, Dean Jagger won an Oscar for his role in Twelve O'clock High.

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered the Renaissance bits.  Turned out relatively expensive with shipping from France, but they're going on the Revell boxing of the Italeri IIIE: given the very good price I got that for, the total invested in this model will still be less than buying just an Italeri IIIE at UK RRP.

MrsC and I were watching Twelve o'Clock High on Sunday, as it happens, on DVD.  I wonder if it's on the curriculum at [insert officer training establishment of your choice eg Cranwell here]?  It ought to be - a sobering study of the pressures and problems of command, and the effects of war on people. 

Many thanks for the help and your thoughts - LSP really is the most helpful forum I've come across.

Edited by MikeC

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered the Renaissance bits.  Turned out relatively expensive with shipping from France, but they're going on the Revell boxing of the Italeri IIIE: given the very good price I got that for, the total invested in this model will still be less than buying just an Italeri IIIE at UK RRP.

MrsC and I were watching Twelve o'Clock High on Sunday, as it happens, on DVD.  I wonder if it's on the curriculum at [insert officer training establishment of your choice eg Cranwell here]?  It ought to be - a sobering study of the pressures and problems of command, and the effects of war on people. 

Many thanks for the help and your thoughts - LSP really is the most helpful forum I've come across.

I've got all the Renaissance bit's for my future Mirage V BA. Great stuff.

Did you order the Martin Baker Mk.10 seat also?? I will build the Mirage V BA-05 whitched crashed in 1988 during an air show. I was there and i've seen it happen close by. In this period the old Martin Baker BRM-4 seat was still in use.

1 hour ago, DannyVM said:

I've got all the Renaissance bit's for my future Mirage V BA. Great stuff.

Did you order the Martin Baker Mk.10 seat also?? I will build the Mirage V BA-05 whitched crashed in 1988 during an air show. I was there and i've seen it happen close by. In this period the old Martin Baker BRM-4 seat was still in use.

Yes indeed, MB Mk 10 seat and all.  I figured if I chose a subject that still had the Mk 4, I'd have a decent Mk 10 available for something else.

Always sad to see an aeroplane crash: I saw a Spitfire nose over on landing at Duxford many years ago, that was bad enough.  Did the pilot get out from the one you saw, and was anyone else hurt?

21 hours ago, MikeC said:

Yes indeed, MB Mk 10 seat and all.  I figured if I chose a subject that still had the Mk 4, I'd have a decent Mk 10 available for something else.

Always sad to see an aeroplane crash: I saw a Spitfire nose over on landing at Duxford many years ago, that was bad enough.  Did the pilot get out from the one you saw, and was anyone else hurt?

Sadly, the pilot didn't get out in time. He went straight above our head's into the cloud's and a few second's later i saw him tumbling down into a spin quit a distance away from the crowd. I remembered he tried to use his brake chute, and after a split second i saw the canopy blowing away, sadly, when the plane rolled inverted the ejection seat left the jet at tree-top height, resulting in a severe collision with the ground. The pilot was still in his seat when he collided into the ground.

In remembrance, Cdt. Michel Duvivier, Mirage V demo pilot, Belgian Air Force. +7 August, 1988

m2Bezvzl.jpg

Regards

Danny