Wrap around camo - how do you spray yours

Stevepd

Hi all,

I’m building the 1/32 Tornado as an RAF GR.1 in wrap around camo and I’m at the spraying phase. Now always keen to try new methods so thought I would ask at this key stage. I spray the whole kit in the grey first then apply the green. I either use white tack rolled to give a feathered edge but it can be very time consuming and have to be super aware of overspray. Alternatively I will use 1mm tape and tape the pattern on followed by masking the grey parts that I don’t want coloured. This obviously gives a hard edge.

So before I start how do/would you do yours?

Steve.

Edited by Stevepd

Hi mate

I've only done two models like this. First time I used the white tac method. Trouble is, it's difficult to get a consistent feather on the edges, and needed a second go with the airbrush (loaded with the grey) to tidy up.

The second time I scanned the kit painting guide and enlarged it to the model size, then cut out the pieces and tacked them on with masking tape rolled over to get a double-sided effect. this gave a tidier line. The was a lot of overspray, and I'm still not sure which worked best.

I think next time I'm going to pluck up the courage to put the fine nozzle on and go freehand, as I've done with armour models in the past!

Tel

• 4 weeks later...

I agree the "blue tack" technique doesn't work that well in the sense that I don't like the painted edge effect you get with that technique.  It varies from place to place.

I now photocopy the paint chart and enlarge as needed to match the scale of the model.  Make 4 or 5 photocopies so you have plenty to work with in case you make a mistake.  

Cut out the camouflage patches and tape to the model.  This method works well IMO.

• 1 month later...

Wondering if this is still even in play, but having just recently sprayed not a a wrap around camo, but a camo edge using something I had not thought of prior. I found a chap on the WIP forums who used it on his P-40 to good effect. 

Here I used the standard blu-tak method for a full wrap around on my OV-10D. As is mentioned above I dont think its the perfect solution as it is indeed hard to get a consistent size to the "rolls" so that you get a consistent edge, but can be made to work.

2255-38.jpg

2255-40.jpg

2255-43.jpg

2255-44.jpg

In the end, I didnt think the blu-tak rolls turned out too bad:

DSC04084.jpg

However, 

I discovered kite string of all things. It must be held on w/masking tape, but does provide a uniform but randomly feathered edge quite nicely as long as you have the PSI down, and maintain your 90deg angle when spraying:

20190307_122456-X2.jpg

20190307_122518-X2.jpg

20190308_234141-X2.jpg

20190309_194314-X2.jpg