Getting tanked for the New Year

Wolf Buddee

Wolf,

Really striking job on the Tiger and it is very cool to see you doing a different subject.  I wonder if any made it to the field 'half painted' such as in your pictures - turret and wheels but not the body?  That would be a visually interesting tank!

Did the kit decals shatter or some AM ones you are using?  I've been frustrated with the old WWI planes decals shattering but had not heard of a Tiger's decals doing the same thing.  I figured you'd go freehand instead. :-)

Looking forward to the next installment!

Chris

It's looking great, except you need to paint the interior surface of that loader's hatch dunkelgelb.  All hatch surfaces that were externally visible when open were painted the exterior base color.  If you do use Archer dry transfers, be aware they adhere better to a matt or satin surface.  I used to use them on almost all of my armor models (I used to almost exclusively build armor), and had problems with the dry transfers adhering to gloss surfaces.  You might want to check out Alliance Modelworks as they make some stencils for armor markings.

Bill

On 2/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, JT68 said:

No worries Wolf!.......the Tiger is looking good!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, Gazzas said:

Wolf,

That is a striking scheme!  Sorry about your decal troubles..  Glad to hear you've found replacements.

Gaz

Thanks Jeff and Gaz!

In the end the Archer numbers didn't work out either. They were the right style but too small. My only option was to cut down a decal stripe to the right width, measure each element of the number one, and apply each section individually. Time consuming but thank goodness it's all straight lines! Got 'er done now so I'm happy!

Cheers,

Wolf

Did the kit decals shatter or some AM ones you are using?  I've been frustrated with the old WWI planes decals shattering but had not heard of a Tiger's decals doing the same thing.  I figured you'd go freehand instead. :-)

Chris

Hi Chris, The decals I was using were the kit decals. 4 of the six decals I needed for the turret number were fine. For some reason the two number ones broke up badly as soon as they left the backing paper. Maybe it was the Zimmerit's rough surface they didn't like? :shrug:

Cheers,

Wolf

t's looking great, except you need to paint the interior surface of that loader's hatch dunkelgelb.  All hatch surfaces that were externally visible when open were painted the exterior base color.

Bill

Interesting note on the interior color of the hatches. I always believed that the hatch interiors and upper portion of the turret interior was a cream white color. I'll likely leave it as is as the interior of the driver's and radio operator/gunners hatch are painted the same color and it's too late to change it now.

Thanks for the info though Bill!

Cheers, Wolf

The Tiger has 'er camo on! There's a bunch of stuff do do yet but the vast majority of the painting is done. A few more bits to add and then a good dragging through the weathering booth. I think she looks pretty good in 'er stripes and squiggles.

Cheers,

Wolf

Tiger-camo-2_zpsqwgvjjx1.jpg

Tiger-camo-1_zpsbiqlxni0.jpg

Tiger-camo-4_zpswswhae42.jpg

Tiger-camo-3_zpsa3jriepj.jpg

Tiger-camo-5_zpslrc1fekg.jpg