Getting tanked for the New Year

Wolf Buddee

I am almost reluctant to start another WIP thread considering I've started a number of them last year and each one has stalled for no apparent reason. In fact I haven't had the mojo to work on anything at all since the Nats in Phoenix last August. Rather than start another LSP I thought I'd see if I could re-light the fire with something very different for me. The last tank I built was Tamiya's 1/48th scale Tiger II covered in Cavalier's resin zimmerit and the was a loooong time ago.

This model is AFV's 1/35th late Tiger I which I picked up at the Vancouver IPMS show last October for a great price of $25.00. I thought it worth a go and started it the beginning of last December when I was home helping my wife recover from back surgery. It's not a bad kit at all but has required some aftermarket pieces and scratch building to enhance it's detail but that's what you can expect for a $25.00 kit. The most time consuming part so far was the Rye Field Models individual track links! They were easy to assemble but I was very happy when both track runs were done!

On to the pics.

Cheers,

Wolf

Tiger-1_zpsudkun2bw.jpg

Tiger-2_zpsjl1wkp3j.jpg

Tiger-3_zps2g5swoyk.jpg

Tiger-4_zps0jebft8w.jpg

Tiger-5_zpsmd6ple5w.jpg

Tiger-6_zps9lqkp9at.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Great start Wolf I really hope you finish it. I've got a couple of tanks on the go to get the mojo back but just cant seem to get to the end.

So that Zimmerit is in sheet form and you cut it to shape and glue on?

You may just give me the inpiration to get back to mine.

Cheers Bevan 

So that Zimmerit is in sheet form and you cut it to shape and glue on?

Hi Bevan, yes the Zimmerit is cast on a wafer thin sheet of resin but the individual pieces you need are raised elements on that sheet. You need to carefully sand the back of the sheet to level it's surface for gluing. In most cases it will then be thin enough to release each element. If not, you just score around each piece with a fresh #11 blade and the part comes away easily. A little dressing up of the edges with a sanding stick, cleaning up or opening any necessary holes, and you're ready to apply each piece. Atak zimmerit is

designed to fit different manufacturer's kits so I ordered the set specifically for AFV's late Tiger 1. The set also includes the zimmerit covered mantelet, a canvas covered muzzle break for the main gun, a zimmerit covered escape hatch at the back of the turret, and a simulated canvas cover to protect the machine gun on the front hull during transport.

Cheers,

Wolf

On 1/14/2019 at 3:18 AM, Gazzas said:

Wolf,

That's a great start!  I'M A Tiger I fan, and love to see them being built.  But I draw the line at guide individual guide horns.  Will watch with interest.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz,

I'm a bit of a Tiger I fan myself. I chickened out with applying the zimmerit so kudos to you for doing the zimmerit yourself on your Sturmpanzer! The Rye Field tracks are indeed a bit of a chore but you eventually develop a rhythm. Once done the track runs are amazingly articulate and sag just like the real deal. They're way better than the kit vinyl bands.

Cheers,

Wolf

21 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Great stuff,  I've been poking around Armour subjects since mid summer. Just haven't posted the work.

Ron

Thanks Ron.

Of course now that you've mentioned it posting pics is obligatory. No more poking around armor without pics! 

Cheers,

Wolf

17 hours ago, Sabre F-86 said:

that looks marvellous. I've got a few Tigers in my stash but this one beats them for details. BTW, I am at the moment looking at one of my very first models, built in 1976. A Tamiya Tiger. Still hanging in there after god knows how many moves.

Thank-you Sabre,

From what I've read, if you want details galore then the Rye Field Tigers are the way to go. I think my next tank model will be Rye Field's Panther G with full interior...........:o Like I need another model like another hole in my head.

Cheers,

Wolf