Getting tanked for the New Year

Wolf Buddee

I managed to get a bit more done on the Tiger. The road wheels have all been finished except more weathering and the tracks have been fitted to see how they look. They're only held together right now with one track pin so I can remove them easily to weather them. The tank has it's base coat of dark yellow. Last night I painted the Olive Green and Red Brown camouflage pattern on the turret but didn't get any pictures. Hopefully I can get those done tonight and post them.

Cheers,

Wolf

Painted-Tiger-1_zpsyze0tf39.jpg

Painted-Tiger-2_zpsqgisiyxa.jpg

I ran into a very interesting detail the other night in one of my Tiger books. A Tiger with an early pattern track, had used some additional tracks to perform a field repair, but used late pattern track segments for that repair. A minor difference, all things considered, but one that really caught my eye.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Agreed Wolf, excellent results so far! 

Thanks Brian! Doin' a tank is a little out of my realm but it's fun so far.........except the length of time it took me to do the pin wash on all them wheels. LOL!

Cheers,

Wolf

53 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I ran into a very interesting detail the other night in one of my Tiger books. A Tiger with an early pattern track, had used some additional tracks to perform a field repair, but used late pattern track segments for that repair. A minor difference, all things considered, but one that really caught my eye.

I guess what ever it takes to get back on track, no pun intended, well.......maybe. I'm sure the crew was happy to get mobile again. The longer you sit still the better a target you become.

Cheers,

Wolf

32 minutes ago, SCRATCH BUILDER said:

Nice build...:popcorn:

I also read something kinda cool the other day, We all know what Zimmerit was used for, but the Germans were the only ones using magnetic mines, and late war German armor had no Zimmerit because it became a fire hazard.... :hmmm: 

That is interesting. I always wondered why only German armor used Zimmerit and not the Allies and why the use of Zimmerit was curtailed towards the end of the conflict. Did the Germans not know that the Allied mines wouldn't stick or were they worried about finding their own?

Cheers,

Wolf 

Here's a few pics showing the camouflage pattern painted on the turret of this particular Tiger as shown in the instructions. The colours were applied freehand at low pressure and with well thinned Tamiya paint. Now the turret will get a gloss clear coat before the application of the three "211" ID numbers. Hopefully the kit decals will conform nicely over the Zimmerit. We'll see eh? :hmmm:

Cheers,

Wolf

Tiger-16_zpscopbvg7t.jpg

Tiger-17_zps98zgjolt.jpg

Tiger-18_zpse7elpb0m.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Well, I needn't have worried too much about the decals conforming to the Zimmerit texture on the sides of the turret. With a little heat from a blow drier and some Micro-Sol they snuggle down very nicely indeed..............except the ones that broke up into eleventeen tiny pieces as soon as the hit the model's surface! :o  Two of the number 1s that make up the number 211 broke up so badly they were irretrievable. The left side of the turret now has a complete number 211 while the right side has only the number 2. Each digit is an individual decal (luckily) so I'm going to have to try and cobble something together. It'll be a little tricky as the numbers are thin white outline only and not a solid digit. Unless, of course, someone here has the same AFV late Tiger 1 kit and isn't doing this same tank. I could sure use a couple o' ones............:unsure:

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

2 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Well, I needn't have worried too much about the decals conforming to the Zimmerit texture on the sides of the turret. With a little heat from a blow drier and some Micro-Sol they snuggle down very nicely indeed..............except the ones that broke up into eleventeen tiny pieces as soon as the hit the model's surface! :o  Two of the number 1s that make up the number 211 broke up so badly they were irretrievable. The left side of the turret now has a complete number 211 while the right side has only the number 2. Each digit is an individual decal (luckily) so I'm going to have to try and cobble something together. It'll be a little tricky as the numbers are thin white outline only and not a solid digit. Unless, of course, someone here has the same AFV late Tiger 1 kit and isn't doing this same tank. I could sure use a couple o' ones............:unsure:

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf, are these dry transfers from Archer what you need?

https://www.archertransfers.com/AR35041W.html

Cheer's,

Jeff.

7 hours ago, DonH said:

Sorry to hear about your decals, sorry but I can't help.

Paint job looks excellent, it's great to sit back and enjoy a Buddee build!

Thanks for stopping by Don. Yeah, it kind o' sucks that the decals broke up but I knew I'd have to come up with something as soon as the first one shattered. I was kind o' hoping though, it would only happen once, but no such luck. Making up the numbers with white decal stripes will be time consuming but luckily it's all straight lines.

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf, are these dry transfers from Archer what you need?

https://www.archertransfers.com/AR35041W.html

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff! Yes, those are indeed the style of numbers I need except they appear to be too thick. The kit decals are quite narrow. I guess if all fails I can paint over the ones I've already applied and start over. I don't really want to have to do that if I don't have to, LOL!

Great call though, thank-you! I was looking on Woody's site and found the tall thin white outline numbers that look to be exactly what I need and ordered 'em. :doh:

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee