Getting tanked for the New Year

Wolf Buddee

The Tiger is primered and ready to get some colour. Tamiya's Grey primer was decanted, thinned with lacquer thinner, and shot through the airbrush. I had to modify the mountings for the side skirts as the raised pins on the hull sides were too short once the Zimmerit was applied. I drilled out the existing pins and added short lengths of styrene rod to the the side skirts so I could add the skirts easily over the Zimmerit. One of the jack support brackets disappeared in to Nirvana when it leapt out of my hands, bounced off my work bench, and was never seen again. I scratch built a new one but would have appreciated not having to take the time to do so. :angry2: I also replaced the solid molded grab handles for the jack with copper wire. The kit supplied tow cable assemblies have heavy mold seams along their lengths. Cleaning them up resulted in misshappen cables and a loss of the twisted cable detail. I picked up two packages of twisted copper wire for just over two dollars each. Each packet has enough for two full lengths of tow cable so I'll have lots of spare.  The kit tow cable assemblies were taped in position on the model and the rear cable clamps only were glued to the rear deck. Once they had completely dried I cut the cable from the clamps and drilled holes in each clamp to accommodate the new cable. Finally a last coat of primer was applied and she's now ready to go in the paint shop and get her camouflage.

Comments and critique are always welcome especially considering I'm no real armour guy.

Cheers,

Wolf

Tiger-7_zps1l8rlr2g.jpg

Tiger-8_zpslgknqdec.jpg

Tiger-9_zpsa0hkl7fj.jpg

Tiger-10_zpsmqalznrc.jpg

Tiger-11_zpsw9fqug7b.jpg

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Wolfram/media/Tiger-12_zpsdp5vjup2.jpg.html]Tiger-12_zpsdp5vjup2.jpg[/URL]

Tiger-13_zpsfek388kz.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

Coming along nicely, Wolf!  Your jack handles look so much better than the molded on ones...  So I'm gonna have to borrow that from you in future builds.  Thanks!

Gaz

Thanks for lookin' in Gaz,

Yes, the copper wire handles are a simple modification but add a nice touch of fidelity.

Cheers,

Wolf

I hate to say it, but that zimmerit just looks so much better than  my hand made stuff.  The only thing my hand-made really has going for it is that it fits any vehicle and is ridiculously cheap.

Every time I look at your model I get a little more jealous.

Gaz

4 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Looks great, now some paint!

Thanks Ron,

Yes indeed, she's ready for the paint shop. I got started on the road wheels last night by spraying Alclad Steel on the contact surfaces of the wheels, idlers, and drive spockets. A bit of masking and then the first coat of Dark Yellow.

Cheers,

Wolf

25 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

I hate to say it, but that zimmerit just looks so much better than  my hand made stuff.  The only thing my hand-made really has going for it is that it fits any vehicle and is ridiculously cheap.

Every time I look at your model I get a little more jealous.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz,

.........although I'm absolutely certain not all Zimmerit application was as neat as mine so yours may very well be more accurate than you think. And you're obviously not as lazy as I am either. You have nothing to be jealous of Gaz!

Cheers,

Wolf

15 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Looking just excellent. Hard to go wrong with any Tiger, really. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Thank-you Kev!

Hard to go wrong with any Tiger eh? What if it's hungry and you're the only one in sight. That may change your mind. :o

Cheers,

Wolf

I like Tigers.... I wish they'd do a good, "affordable" one in 1/16.  Maybe Trumpeter will consider the Tiger IE in 1/16 with an interior... Oh boy that'd be nice.  Anyway, It looks as though you're modeling a factory fresh final model TigerIE and doing a very nice job of it.  Those Archer weld beads are a little too uniform for my liking but they do look the part.  Is that the 40mm turret roof on that kit?  I can't tell if it is or if it's the 26mm turret roof.  One thing I noticed is the exhaust guards; they're a little  thick (as they are in every 1/35 scale kit I've ever seen).  Does not affect the looks of it but these guys were sheet metal and pretty thin (material thickness).  I don't know off hand what the thickness is but I'll be David Byrden does.  If you've not see his site it's http://tiger1.info/. 

You can usually find him on Missing-Lynx if you're at all interested.

As a tale....   When I built a Tamiya Late Tiger I (that was all that was available at that time...so you can guess how long ago that was), I took a rat-tail file to the insides of the guards and thinned them until they were almost see-through (I don't like photo-etch that much).  I then used gentle heat to bend them around the exhaust castings so it looked like the tank backed into something that crushed the guards showing the outlines of the armored castings....  LOL, mine was NOT factory fresh.  I also found the Modelkasten wingnuts superb in representing the tow cable clamp securing nuts on the upper hull.

Edited by Juggernut
Added a little content....

Thanks Juggernut,

I honestly couldn't even begin to tell you if it's a 26mm or 40mm roof. I'm trying to build something without researching the subject to death as it's supposed to be a mojo recuperating project.

I hear ya on the thickness of the exhaust shields. I keep lookin' at 'em and trying to decide if I'll rework them or not. We'll see...... I was also debating about the wingnuts for the cable clamps as Bronco Models has a nice set specifically for the German AFVs. But again, I'm trying not to get too hung up on all the details or spend too much more on aftermarket stuff (which I usually wind up doing). Jeeezzzz I hate AMS!

Cheers,

Wolf