Jennings Heilig

Mr. Paint (MRP?)

So I broke down and did a trail buy of a couple of bottles of Mr. Paint.  Seems like it's interchangeably called "MRP" and "Mr. Paint", so I'm not sure which is actually correct and if one or the other is outdated.

Regardless, it smells essentially like Tamiya, so not too bad.  Comes in a 30 ml glass bottle with a narrow neck.  Not my favorite, as that makes it harder to mix custom colors, but at least it's a 30 ml bottle you're getting, and perhaps the smaller opening means less evaporation.

I did a test spray with RLM 02 straight out of the bottle with no thinning through my Grex Tritium, and I really like it!  It sprays great, and on the test I did I didn't have any problem with it clogging the brush tip.  Coverage seems very good, and I'm happy with their rendition of the color of RLM 02.  I haven't messed with it as far as putting a wash on it or anything yet, but so far, so good.  

I spent a bunch of money on Vallejo Model Air, all of which I'm going to box up and put on eBay.  Absolutely no comparison in terms of ease of use (constant clogging with the Vallejo), and Vallejo's color matching is spotty at best, and downright awful in many cases.  They have a bad habit of simply changing the label on the same color, and what's in the bottle isn't right for either one!

Need to add some further colors and give it a more thorough trial, but I'm happy with it so far.

Remember when Pactra and Testors Enamels were 19 cents a bottle??  :)

PS: Has anyone tried the Mr. Paint metallic colors?  Specifically, how do they compare with the AK Interactive Extreme Metals??

Edited by Jennings Heilig

4 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

PS: Has anyone tried the Mr. Paint metallic colors?  Specifically, how do they compare with the AK Interactive Extreme Metals??

I have used the Mr. Metalcolor paints (aluminium and stainless) and for me they are  fantastic paints. Can be buffed when dry to a great shine.

42 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

So I broke down and did a trail buy of a couple of bottles of Mr. Paint.  Seems like it's interchangeably called "MRP" and "Mr. Paint", so I'm not sure which is actually correct and if one or the other is outdated.

According to their own website, it's both MRP and Mrpaint, as evidenced by their URL.

mrpaint.sk

My understanding is that they've moved to the MRP name due to early confusion of Mr. Paint with Mr. Color. As far as I'm aware, officially it's called MRP now, with Mr. Paint being a legacy designation.

And yes, fantastic paints. I'm not convinced by all of their Luftwaffe colours, but they do spray beautifully.

Kev

Regarding their metallic paints, my next build is probably going to be an F-51 Mustang which had a very weathered, dull NMF finish.   The names of their paints really don't provide a great deal of info.   Anyone know if they offer a nice dull aluminum?

Thanks for this, I have four bottles on order for testing.

My big problem is no-one will ship these paints to Singapore. I will have to buy in Europe and do a personal mule run back home. Every time some friends visit, I will have to get them to bring some over.

I've used 5 of their silver metallics on my Mustang.

Duraluminum

White aluminum

Silver

Chrome

Exhaust Metal

They're my go to paints for now.

They're MRP now. They don't offer a Dull aluminum but they do have a nice Flat Base (MRP-187)

to make anything flat. I used Alclad Dull Aluminum on the painted areas , looks OK.

zjkNmUo.jpg

lnTLSPw.jpg

They do reeeeak tho !

6M05hiQ.jpg

Oh yeah, I think you 'could' mix them with Tamiya as they

behave like an acrylic in one way. 91% alcohol will strip this

stuff to the bone in nothing flat.

Edited by MikeMaben

I had always airbrush problems using lifecolor or vallejo, stepped to mrp and problems gone. Love using them, the metal colors are ok. Mixing them with Tamiya i don’t know, but i use Tamiya airbrush cleaner with this paint. I just use vallejo with a brush for little detail. Bought a spraybooth and a mask not to inhale much fumes.

MRP, yes that's their current name which superseded Mr Paint, do an anodized aluminium which has a slightly buff tinge to it. 

9pP2hy.jpg

Edited by mozart

Good to know you can mix them, I need to mix the purple color for the WNW Junkers D.1

So I discovered one down side to pre-thinned paints:  you can't brush them onto a sample card when you're mixing colors.  With normal paints, you can do that and get a good swatch of coverage to compare to.  The only way to get coverage with MRP is to airbrush it, which if you're in the middle of mixing a custom color, is a PITA.  I frequently go through 15-20 iterations before I'm happy with a color mix.