Farewell to the Tornado soon.

Eagle Driver

56 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

And... I have to get my Revell Tornado kit built before it is made obsolete by the Italiari kit.  

Rick

I was thinking the same when I saw the Tornadoes last month. I've been considering Revell for couple years no. But i keep postponing it.

3 hours ago, vince14 said:

The Typhoon (it isn't referred to as the EF-2000 in the UK, though it is occasionally called the Eurofighter) is scheduled to remain in-service until 2040. It's supposed to be replaced by the yet-to-be-more-than-a-fibreglass-mock-up BAe Tempest.

If that Tempest actually happens.

And who cares what they call the Ef2000? They still don't know that it isn't called a reheat but an afterburner. And many other things.

:)

4 hours ago, AlanG said:

The Eurofighter EF2000 'Typhoon'  is the replacement primarily for the Tornado F3 air defence but can and is utilised for the GR version too. The F35 is going to be the standard replacement for the Harrier GR9 and Tornado GR4

Beats me why. Ef2000 is perfectly suitable for ground attack. Faster than the F-35, closer /ideologically/ to GR4 than the F-35 for sure. I won't even start on the Gr.9 retirement. 

37 minutes ago, AlanG said:

I must have missed this one. Is Italeri bringing out a new tool Tonka?

I am waiting on that too, but it might never happen.

Anyhow, it is sad to see The mighty Tornado go. Couldn't care less what RAF are planning to replace it with, I am just feeling nostalgic for the bird. It will be a sad day.

Edited by Eagle Driver

It's a corporate day out with my work, I test Laser systems that are/were fitted ( LRMTS, TIALD ) ect and been doing it since 82 so hopefully they will roll out the F35 also so I can get a close up of that ugly fuc*er ( I am also working on the laser for it's EOTS ). We usually get the Typhoon jockeys visiting our site on a yearly basis telling us how the Tiffie is doing a grand job. :rofl:

9 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

They still don't know that it isn't called a reheat but an afterburner. And many other things.

You're treading on thin ice here. It's reheat every time. You are reheating the exhaust gases by dumping more fuel into it and igniting it. British aircraft. British language. British at it's best :evil_laugh:

Sorry cross trained ex-rigger/propulsion technician here :P

Just now, AlanG said:

You're treading on thin ice here. It's reheat every time. You are reheating the exhaust gases by dumping more fuel into it and igniting it. British aircraft. British language. British at it's best :evil_laugh:

Sorry cross trained ex-rigger/propulsion technician here :P

Heh!

Was Phantom a British aircraft? :) Since I know the answer why they are calling it reheat there?

It is English language. 

Sorry. Trained pilot here. Aware of the theory of the afterburner and jet propulsion. With some decent time spent around Soviet and US fighter jets. Most of them afterburner-equipped :)

34 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

Heh! If you say so :)

Joys of working on XV(R) Squadron (pilot/nav Tornado GR4 training/conversion) :)

Edited by AlanG

1 hour ago, DonH said:

The British Phantoms had British engines and so had re-heat not afterburners.

The F-4J (UK) had Murcan engines which were equipped with re-heaters.

I trust that clears up this off-topic conversation. :whistle:

Of course!

And everybody else are driving on the other side of the bloody road. I know.

It clears so much up...

17 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

I saw them .... at Leuchars a few years ago.... around 2014... I was 15 feet from the STUNNING TORNADO ..

Maybe it was you Eagle Driver who gave ME a curtsey as the Tornado bobbed up and down trying to blow MW away....

Alas Poor Yorick!!:crying:

Most definitely not.

And there goes another thread in the bin.

Well....

Farewell Tornado! Sad to see you go.

That's all I wanted to say.

I'm out. Re-heating for quicker escape.

1 hour ago, Eagle Driver said:

Heh!

Was Phantom a British aircraft? :) Since I know the answer why they are calling it reheat there?

It is English language. 

Those Phantoms had British engines, therefore they were in re-heat!  

Edited by John1

A lot of my interest in aircraft is aesthetically related, and I never really liked the Tornado.

It has a heavy, bulky look to the main fuselage area, like it needs to lose some weight.

But some of the flashy "tiger meet" type paint jobs on those things are fantastic.

Are not Tornado jets still in service in Italy, Germany and Saudi Arabia? 

Any commemorative schemes planned? 

Feel sad seeing the Eurofighter weighed under with bombing ironmongery; always should have stayed a defensive fighter, with reconnaissance and a maritime surface attack rôle purely in Defence of the Realm

Lightning IIs are more for the NATO commitment, mainly on those huge floating airfields. It's unlikely the pricey F-35Bs would be deployed on some grubby little soggy FOL the way the Harriers were - or get an impromptu whitewash job over that megaexpensive coating for an icy excursion north. 

I do recall the Tornado Tri-service Training Establish starting at RAF Cottesmore (?) in 1979. Forty years on, it's a bit like the 1930s Heyford bomber being on frontline parade for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977. 

Tony 

I’ve got a few memories.

• Childhood memories of GR.1s’ (which I now know were pre-production batch) at Boscombe Down (BD) flying around Salisbury Plain with the white fuel tanks and ECM pods.
  • Whilst working at BD in 85 we flew up to West Freugh in a Beagle Basset to drop trials equipment off and the return trip via Walton to collect Avionic gear to replace U/S items for the F2 at BD (still in the prototype livery).
  • TOEU at BD in 85 doing various operational work ups for weapon delivery.
  • The F2 arrived for the ETPS at BD to replace the EE Lightning, but it just didn’t have the same impact. But keeping with the times and all that.....
  • I was driving a Bedford 4 tonner and stopped at RAF Spadeadam and this Tornado GR4 came over at probably 100ft with reheat engaged. I didn’t see it coming and it scared me to bits that I nearly crashed the truck!.
  • Down in the Falklands I got a jolly in a C130. The ramp came down and an F3 was there and it edged its way in towards the ramp. About 5 of us plus the loadie we’re taking photos and you could see the pilots eyes and it felt like you could touch the pitot probe, overwhelming noise as the engines were constantly adjusting. I cannot put into words how memorable this was.
  • 95-98 stationed at RAF Bruggen.
  • Ali Al Salem during Gulf War 2 - an Aircraft coming back overhead the airfield streaming smoke. Word has it that it was hit coming back in, a blue on blue situation but they managed to land.
  • Lastly a good friend of mine who was a photographer and was in the back seat of an F3 taking shots of the other F3 firing the new Meteor missile over the North Sea.

Steve.

Edited by Stevepd