The One That Got away: Complete

Gazzas

Guys,

Thank you for all of the positive replies!  It's definitely motivating!

Yes, this kit did have retractable landing gear, movable ailerons, elevators, rudder, and, hinged canopy.  Plus one of my favorite features a rotating propeller.

I don't need the propeller to spin, really... but I feel it makes it less difficult to break the blades off by mistake.

Gaz 

Oh yeah,  talk about memories Gaz. I grabbed one of those the first time

I saw one in 1967. The only G kit available then was Airfix's 1/72.

I did need the propellor to spin so I put a small electric engine in the engine

compartment with a toggle switch attached to the end of a Hawk Mustang

(chrome version) elevator that I chopped in half and cut a hole thru and glued

to where the firewall would be with a battery in the fuselage behind the cockpit.

I used a piece of rubber tubing as a flexible drive shaft as the motor and the prop

shaft did not line up. I thot I was quite the engineering genius at the time  :D.

I had just gotten my first airbrush, a Binks Wren B so I did the camo up

right (or so I thot) just like the boxart (oops).

Js0ILHo.jpg

dSDeMj2.jpg

Note the grey fuselage with the green wings !  Oh well it was the coooolest thing at the time.

So as others have said , thanks for the memories, and just have fun with it.

Oopsy, left out a chunk of sentence above.

Edited by MikeMaben

It is so amazing to return to your youth and recapture that kit that was lost. I really like that you aren't trying to make if uber accurate, scratchbuilding all the details to fix any flaw the internet has brought to your modern attention. You are just going back in time to have the fun that you lost. Please make sure that you fly it around the room making "taka taka taka'" sounds. You can skip the bb gun target practice if you want, or at least take a few photos of the completed model before you bring the Spitfire out with guns blazing.

Tnarg

This is coming along wonderfully - it's amazing how well these old kits can scrub up with some work and some enthusiasm.

I built both the G & the F back when I was a callow youth - memories! 

Edited by MikeC

1 hour ago, Tnarg said:

It is so amazing to return to your youth and recapture that kit that was lost. I really like that you aren't trying to make if uber accurate, scratchbuilding all the details to fix any flaw the internet has brought to your modern attention. You are just going back in time to have the fun that you lost. Please make sure that you fly it around the room making "taka taka taka'" sounds. You can skip the bb gun target practice if you want, or at least take a few photos of the completed model before you bring the Spitfire out with guns blazing.

Tnarg

Thank you!  Wait, you never hold your planes up and imagine them attacking something when nobody is looking?

Gaz

8 minutes ago, MikeC said:

This is coming along wonderfully - it's amazing how well these old kits can scrub up with some work and some enthusiasm.

I built both the G & the F back when I was a callow youth - memories! 

Thank you!  I always thought that Revell surface detail was great back then.  I never checked it for accuracy...but it looked good!

Gaz

HI everyone,

I've been motoring on in spurts and spitz with this projekt.  I had a bit of a fuzzy primer disaster because I forgot to thin it with self-leveling thinner.  So, I had to sand down the black and lay down a second bit of white.  White because I will be making the markings, which are mostly white.

Here are some pics:

Zo4a0u.jpg

Xq5KPu.jpg

GEkevL.jpg

It's been a fun build so far, but my joy has been marred by some sanding detritus that didn't decide to show until the canopy was sealed. 

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

HI Everyone,

Today was Sturm und Drang with my Silhouette Protrait machine.

This was the first marking I did.  The rare IV Gruppe cross symbol.  Unfortunately a little aft, I, I suffered some paint lifting.   Otherwise it came out perfectly!

p8LRrc.jpg

On the starboard side, all of my efforts resulted in bad lifting!   You can imagine the expletives.

1iJRg7.jpg

I repaired the stbd side three times before I realized the reason for the lifting.  I didn't do any sanding here.  One of the masks is beginning to migrate a little bit.  I always make a few spares of each marking.

iTWFnu.jpg

I did finish the spinner, happily.

XtYrLw.jpg

The yellow twelve has black outlines, complicating the masking.  The upper wing crosses are masked. too.  I'm gonna use decals for the tail markings and stencils borrowed from a Trumpy kit.

GBk15v.jpg

Ugh!  More paint damage!

8IMhAX.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Thank you for the motivating replies everyone!  Seems like a month since my last post, but it's only been a week. 

The paint lift problems continued prompting me to strip away all of the paint between the empennage and the cockpit.  This solved most (but not all) of the problem but caused some collateral damage.  Rudder, both lower radiator flaps, and aerial all got knocked off.  I have the aerial back on, but the radiator flaps got knocked off a second time due to all of the handling while masking today.

Despite all of that, I'm pretty happy with the results.  These are all masks:

QaVURY.jpg

NPOtxs.jpg

TWEdRg.jpg

I still have to paint the underwing crosses and the dotted red lines on the wings...  but I've done enough for one day.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz