Decals for lozenge etc. Clear gloss or gloss paint?

Pup7309

Just wondering WNW mentions that the surface for decals needs to be gloss paint not just a gloss coat. Or am I reading this wrong?

Anyone have any tips or experience with applying large lozenge decals? 

And decal solutions- are a good idea or an optional extra? 

Dont want to botch my first job!

:(

Edited by Pup7309

Very frankly this puzzled me as well. To me the fact a decal is correctly sticking to a surface is a mechanical/physical question and not a chemical one! As I do not really see a difference between polished plastic, gloss paint or a clear coat, this does not seem relevant from that perspective. I rather think they recommend paint as this may be useful for the small areas not covered by the decals. I do not see any other logical reason. 

For some reason that I can not understand, water slide decals stick better to a painted surface versus bare plastic. In some instances (especially acrylic gloss), the decal solvents may react with the gloss and bond better. I have experienced this especially with Future, and in some instances I can not remove the decal with the usual tape pulI method because they have bonded to the Future. I have used both a gloss clear, and gloss paints without any issues, but I mostly use gloss paints for big decals like lozenge. If you go the gloss paint route, the underlying gloss color may change the decal color slightly so it's best to do a test run first to make sure you are getting the end color you want on your decals. WNW says to not use decal solutions, but I use a mild solution of Microsol (thinned 1:1 with distilled water). 

Edited by modelingbob

5 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Yes, water slide decals do not stick well to bare plastic. 

I've used microsol/set on WNW lozenge decals on several builds and the system works great

Funny, I always heard the opposite.  I think their instructions tell you not to use setting solutions and instead use the "hairdryer" method.   Honestly, I've always found Wingnut's lozenge decals to be pretty thick and tough to get to settle properly on wing tips, leading edges, etc.  

Edited by John1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:18 AM, Pup7309 said:

Just wondering WNW mentions that the surface for decals needs to be gloss paint not just a gloss coat. Or am I reading this wrong?

Anyone have any tips or experience with applying large lozenge decals? 

And decal solutions- are a good idea or an optional extra? 

Dont want to botch my first job!

:(

Yes, you have that right; they suggest applying the decals to gloss paint and not just a clear coat.

That has always confused me and seems to make zero sense.

I always apply their lozenge decals to a gloss clear coat which sits on top of my color coats.

I also always use a hair dryer and decal setting solutions, which work great.

IMO, they warn against decal setting solutions simply b/c there is some chance the decals will be harmed and maybe they don't want to hassle with customers who have screwed up their decals.

Their lozenge decals work very well IMO and you can get them to sit down very well using the techniques I mentioned above.