1/32 WnW Halberstadt CI.II (Late)

monthebiff

So first new project of the year for me is the Wingnut Wings Halberstadt CI.II from the Duellist boxing.

20190109-191740.jpg

First thing for me was to see how the kit supplied lozenge decals would work as I had heard they had made some changes to make them look a little less stark with more texture much like Aviattic's offering. So away I went and to be honest I was pretty dissapointed as although they are Cartograph printed the seem pretty thick and difficult to make them conform to curved surfaces etc and with very little handling the colour is rubbng away leaving the white layer behind.

Decals on.

20190106-125201.jpg

20190106-125147.jpg

Wingnut Wings have definately spent some time  working on the look of the lozenge decals suppied in the kit and they look much better, The fact Wingnut's have done this is pretty amusing after listening to a Richard Alexander interview regarding AM deatails and add on's.......I guess if you can't beat em' join em' then.

Personally I was'nt happy with the way they performed so stripped them of and pre-shadded the wings in readiness for replacement Aviattic decals.

20190109-191659.jpg

Aviattic decals cut out and ready for application.

20190110-210202.jpg

Also got all of the main fuselage parts base painted ready for detail painting and weathering.

20190110-210457.jpg

So far a really nice kit again from WnW but in places as ever the fit is just non existant or very tight and in these area's I wonder "Do these guys actually try building there own test shots" as if they did they would make changes you would think!!

Time to get a gloss coat on and start detail painting and weathering of the cockpit.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

• 2 weeks later...

Been working away on the cockpit sub assemblies and  now have them all painted and decalled ready for final assembly. All needs a final flat coat misting over but I'll do that when all together.

20190120-122224.jpg

20190120-122107.jpg

Rear panel with radio fitted, gloss coat needed to seal the decals as well, I used Aviattic decal instead of the kit supplied decal as well.

20190120-122132.jpg

20190120-122156.jpg

And bringing eveything together.

20190120-142034.jpg

20190120-142056.jpg

Just need to add some HGW belts now, fitting that rear seat is a real, real pain and for anyone building this fit the seat before adding the radio will make your life so much easier as its nearly impossible to fit otherwise, it took so so many goes before I got it in.

Regards. Andy

Avittic decals added which layed down like a dream compared to the kit supplied set.

20190126-141424.jpg

Then started adding the rib tapes from Aviattic but with white decal film, labourious but worth it.

20190127-120542.jpg

Not added the upper tapes or the wing edge wrap over yet in white decal film so everything will neaten up. So far so good but just spend an hour at a time on this process as it does get a bit tedious.

Work started on the engine detailing with the Taurus resin set, first time I've used this set and although supper fiddly well worth the effort.

20190127-141733.jpg 

Really enjoying this build and starting to come together now.

Regards. Andy

Thanks for the kind comments regarding Aviattic decals Andy! Great to see your progress with this lovely kit - surprisingly small for a two-seater?!

You'll be amused to hear that I am currently working on tailored lozenge and "stipple" camo options for the kit - lozenge to be announced this week - stipple to follow soon!...sorry!

Richard

6 hours ago, bstachel said:

Thanks for the kind comments regarding Aviattic decals Andy! Great to see your progress with this lovely kit - surprisingly small for a two-seater?!

You'll be amused to hear that I am currently working on tailored lozenge and "stipple" camo options for the kit - lozenge to be announced this week - stipple to follow soon!...sorry!

Richard

Thanks for looking in Richard,  I cannot agree more with you as the Halberstad is a real gem of a kit isn't it!

Funnily enough when I was carefully cutting my templates out of one of your A4 sheets I was thinking that as soon as I had finished it you would come out with a cookie cut set!! However Im more than happy with templating it myself and then adding the ribtapes, slow but pleasing progress! The stippple decals sound interesting but I'm looking forward to having a crack at this and have a few ideas on this. 

Regards.Andy 

Now have the cockpit completed with HGW belts and a light coat of flat varnish misted over. Also have the engine painted and complete and added to the engine bearers with the completed interior assembly now ready for fitting into the fuselage.

20190206-182831.jpg

20190206-182901.jpg

20190206-182848.jpg

20190206-183533.jpg

Managed to get the fuselage halves together which is a super tight but good fit and currently drying with plenty of tape around it at the moment.

Regards. Andy

Thank you for your comments guys and some more progress made with the fuselage and cowlings all fitted and pretty close to getting some colour on. Think something went wrong while closing up as I had some slight mis-alignment issue's which reulted in a very tight fit at the front end while glueing the foward cowls on place. 

20190210-151449.jpg

20190210-151509.jpg

20190210-151545.jpg

Looking foward to having a crack at that stipple cammo scheme now.

Regards. Andy

28 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Sweet!  Love to see the sheen on that spandau.  What did you paint it with?

Gaz

Hanks Gaz, It's Gumnetal.Grey from the Vallejo acrylic Metal Color range followed by a brushing with Tamiya metalics weathering pallet. Those paints are amazing and a nice range of colours. They spray beautifully from the bottle and hand paint equally as nicely over a base layer.

Regards.Andy