Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LSP_K2

MiG-17 vs MiG-15

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if the Trumpeter MiG-17 is really a changed kit, or is it just a re-boxing of the MiG-15 kit, and being called a MiG-17?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a totally different kit.  The two share very little in common.  Neither kit is especially accurate.  AFAIK the MiG-15 was the first aircraft model that Trumpeter ever did.  I had a friend who was an airline pilot in the 1990s and asked me if I wanted one when he saw it in a shop in Beijing.  Nobody outside China had ever heard of “Trumpeter” (what a silly name) models before.  I remember thinking it was more of a toy than a serious model kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MiG-17 is a different kit, but it has parts from the other kit in it.

The engine is the same as the MiG-15 kit so the fuselage cut is in the wrong place (20mm too far back). It is very clunky, the wing tips are way too thick, the clear parts are inaccurate, etc...

It looks like a MiG-17 from a distance, and appears better as you step further away!

 

Alain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is different, but not the best kit. However, it can be built into a nice kit with some aftermarket, and since you can pick these up so cheap, you can load up with AM. Now, the Mig 19, is a whole different kit, absolutely beautiful kit, one of the best of Trumpeter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Trumpeter MiG-17 ended up in the bin after i physically snapped in two due to frustration. One of the worst kits I have ever built. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks, fellas. My buddy won one in our Christmas raffle and asked me about it. I had no idea, so I came to you fellas. I know that the MiG-15 is rough, as I've owned at least two of them, but the MiG-17 I was unsure about, so thanks for the inputs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s a totally different kit.  The two share very little in common.  Neither kit is especially accurate.  AFAIK the MiG-15 was the first aircraft model that Trumpeter ever did.  I had a friend who was an airline pilot in the 1990s and asked me if I wanted one when he saw it in a shop in Beijing.  Nobody outside China had ever heard of “Trumpeter” (what a silly name) models before.  I remember thinking it was more of a toy than a serious model kit.

why is trumpeter a silly name? do you know what Revell/Monogram etc. sounds like in chinese? i dont, but maybe it sounds funny too...

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

It is different, but not the best kit. However, it can be built into a nice kit with some aftermarket, and since you can pick these up so cheap, you can load up with AM. Now, the Mig 19, is a whole different kit, absolutely beautiful kit, one of the best of Trumpeter.

The mig 19 is a good kit? did you build one? i would love to see your solution of the main landinggear....

its the only kit that beat me... i finshed it, but it just doesnt look right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trumpeter did a few 1/48 scale kits before the Mig-15/Mig-17/Mig-17PF/JJ-5 releases in1/32. The Mig-15 appears to be a copy if the 1/48 Tamiya kit. These models brought me to the original LargescalePlanes. I was searching for opinions on the new models and there weren't any .... no one had heard of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interesting bit about the MiG-15 kit is that they included a nose weight exactly like the Tamiya 1/48 one, but for some reason didn’t scale it up like the plastic parts.  It’s still a 1/48 sized weight in a 1/32 kit!  Also, they didn’t copy the Tamiya clear parts, instead making their own, including a new windscreen that is hosed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aerobat said:

Trumpeter did a few 1/48 scale kits before the Mig-15/Mig-17/Mig-17PF/JJ-5 releases in1/32.

 

That may well be, but I'm quite sure that the MiG-15 was indeed their first foray into 1:32 scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The interesting bit about the MiG-15 kit is that they included a nose weight exactly like the Tamiya 1/48 one, but for some reason didn’t scale it up like the plastic parts.  It’s still a 1/48 sized weight in a 1/32 kit!  Also, they didn’t copy the Tamiya clear parts, instead making their own, including a new windscreen that is hosed up.

 

I don't recall a nose weight in any of my MiG kits. That may be due to my having acquired the Hobbycraft boxings, I'm not real sure. While I briefly had the MiG-17 kit, the only thing that I specifically recall, was the same screwed up windscreen from the MiG-15 kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They may have done other kits, but when I got the MiG-15 kit nobody else in the US that I'm aware of had ever heard of "Trumpeter" before.  The box on mine still said "Wa-San Plastic Model Company" under the Trumpeter name on the logo.  It was the first 100% PRC made model kit I'd ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

The MiG-17 is one of their worst kits. The wings are horrible and would ask to be scratchbuild to be accurate. 

 

 

Then thats saying something. The Mig-15 was one of my first foray into LSP modeling, and it still is to this day, one of the worst kits Ive built. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×