MiG-17 vs MiG-15

LSP_K2

It really is a mystery why the MIG-15 along with the F-86 have never been tackled by a major player in 1/32 given their iconic status. The Hph one in resin is very expensive and I understand a complex build whilst the Kinnetic F-86 is a bit toy-like needing quite a bit of AM.

I would love to see the MIG-15 tackled in 1/32 by someone like Tamiya or Z-M or even at a push, if Trump were to revisit it and put the same team on it who did some of their better (not perfect) efforts like the F8 Crusader and Swordfish.

Gary

15 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The 15 is basic but more accurate than the 17 as most of the shapes are at least ok. Nice weathering! Not that common to see a derelict MiG kit.

Thank you, it was my original intention to build this a learning kit, I wanted to learn how to do specific weathering techniques, it started turning out nicer than I expected. I ended up adding lots of AM to it, rescribeing and  re-riveting the whole thing, at one point it was looking so nice, I almost didn’t do my planned weathering, but carried on. I went too far and screwed up the paint job with some oils that didn’t play nice, I had to stop and re-spray parts of the wings, and I ended up re-weathering it again. This is now in it’s second life, but not it’s last, my eventual plan is to strip all the paint down to bare plastic, fix the canopy seams, then repaint the whole thing again. 

When I started it, I went into the project with the attitude that I didn’t care, I wanted to learn scribing and riveting, play with weathering techniques that were experimental in nature, and play with alternate materials. I learned a few things about what works and what doesn’t, it didn’t turn out as I wanted it, but my original investment was under $50 with rein wheels, cockpit, and Vac canopy, and I ended up with a fun build. I also never built it to compete, I entered in a show on a whim, how it won 3rd was beyond me, but I’ll take it. 

I guess what I’m getting at, this kit is a great starting point since it’s so cheap, and it looks like a Mig-15, the only part that has to be replaced was the canopy, if you do that, it looks ok.

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Trying to picture a 21st Century Tamiya F-86E/F kit.  Sigh...

Now you've got me at it  but I'm thinking of an A with 118th FIS (RAF Shepherd's Grove) markings included.