Late War RLM usage of 81/82, etc.

4 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

because i'm not an academic and not a native english speaker which means whatever i write will be uncorrectly understood

...and just because one guy said that you are packing up?  If those ar the other guys only aguments...well, just let him be. I am not a native english speaker either and when I hear something like that I always tell myself that my english (your english) is a thousend times better then their French or German... ;-)

I would love to hear more from you on that paint subject. So hopefully you have saved your posts and maybe after having had some time to swallow down the anger you will restore them.

BTW...one big advantage to not being only an engish speaker but in my case a German...I did some research on the correct US ARMY vehicle paint in WWII (I own a GMC truck) and I just rang Mr. Jürgen Kiroff in Fürth...who is also realy good in RLM colors, RAL colors, etc...to get some paint mixed up following the FS number I had, and what was meant to be 10min call ended up in a super educational 2h phone call...with lot's on insight into not only the color tones but more the recepies and the resources used to make paint in WWII ( "Kernesammlung", etc... )

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

4 minutes ago, Wackyracer said:

another thread that implodes. 

Get a grip guys its a piece of plastic, glue and paint, that REPRESENTS a plane. 

In this case I think you are only half way correct...yes, it just a model, but this thread was not really about modelling, it was a historical research topic that might as well have happend in a forum about old planes or chemistry. This is one of the main drivers, at least for me, to do modelling. While I do it I dive into history and learn mor about it. I just spent 120EUR combined on just two book...on a very narrow subject...in order to make a 15EUR kit look a bit more athentic (I hope).

Researching history is a main aspect of the hobby, the time when kids built toys for most of us is nothing but sweet memory...

cheers

Uwe (56)

3 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

Get a grip guys its a piece of plastic, glue and paint, that REPRESENTS a plane. 

Some of us are interested in the subject for its own sake, and not just to facilitate the assembly and accurate (hopefully) representation of the colours and finishes of a particular period.

I found a really interesting thread over on 12 O'clock High which is just like one of our modelling discussions about colour... just that this concerns a real Me 163...   http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10115

So, in many ways we, as interested modellers, are actually working alongside the guys restoring the real aircraft (maybe somewhat ahead of them in some cases... :) ).

26 minutes ago, mattlow said:

Some of us are interested in the subject for its own sake, and not just to facilitate the assembly and accurate (hopefully) representation of the colours and finishes of a particular period.

I found a really interesting thread over on 12 O'clock High which is just like one of our modelling discussions about colour... just that this concerns a real Me 163...   http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10115

So, in many ways we, as interested modellers, are actually working alongside the guys restoring the real aircraft (maybe somewhat ahead of them in some cases... :) ).

Deleted too much hassle

Edited by Wackyracer
Hassle

Guest Vincent

FYI I'm also leaving LSP by my own choice. I do not know how long it takes for my account to be deleted. Many thanks to the members with who i had great exchanges during the last 14 years and keep modelling !

7 hours ago, anj4de said:

I always tell myself that my english (your english) is a thousend times better then their French or German... ;-)

I'll have you know that i can do all the essential words needed in German. I can order a beer, bratwurst, frits mit mayo and swear. I didn't waste my 4 years being based in Germany honest lol :beer4:

I just wish there was a decent acrylic paint for RLM 81.  I love Mission Models Paint, but their RLM 81 is so far off as to be unusable.  Although the color chart they have on their web page does show a brownish color, what comes in the bottle is a medium light green that isn’t even close.  The “new” Vallejo air RLM 81 71.264 is pretty much the same, clearly a medium green color.  Their “old” RLM 81 colors 71.043 or 71.042 as shown in the ZM Ta152 and Do335 instructions seem more convincing to me.  Right now, I’m leaning toward the AK interactive RLM 81 (they also use it for RLM 61) best, although it’s not quite as good as I’d like it.  It’s a dark brown olive drab, and I think is just missing the slight violet tint that I think is needed.

32 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I just wish there was a decent acrylic paint for RLM 81.  I love Mission Models Paint, but their RLM 81 is so far off as to be unusable.  Although the color chart they have on their web page does show a brownish color, what comes in the bottle is a medium light green that isn’t even close.  The “new” Vallejo air RLM 81 71.264 is pretty much the same, clearly a medium green color.  Their “old” RLM 81 colors 71.043 or 71.042 as shown in the ZM Ta152 and Do335 instructions seem more convincing to me.  Right now, I’m leaning toward the AK interactive RLM 81 (they also use it for RLM 61) best, although it’s not quite as good as I’d like it.  It’s a dark brown olive drab, and I think is just missing the slight violet tint that I think is needed.

My current FW190 project...81/82 coming from Gunze Mr.Color range, laqeur paints. It looks brown to me... ;-)

19948533.jpg