Late War RLM usage of 81/82, etc.

9 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Late 76/75/earlier 76 rudder.

My take, anyway.

Could've the rudder been yellow and crudely painted over with some sort of grey. Note the very thin coat of paint on the horizontal stabilizer with the putty lines showing through..... what a great photo.

Cheers Bevan 

I suspect another reason to use up the stocks of 70/71 (maybe 65 as well) was that the quality of that paint would probably have been higher than the more recently produced paint. I don't suspect anyone n the industry or the Luftwaffe agonised over the colours' specific hues anything like as much as we do.. :)

Martin has good points about stability of the paints affecting what we get to see - some of the machines we see photos of are taken some weeks/months after the end of hostilities.

I recall there are some nice 'modern' photos of the 'Point Cooke' (is that the Australian War Memorial?)  Me 163B in 76/81/82 (I think) looking very much as it had when captured - great shame it was re-painted.

52 minutes ago, mattlow said:

I recall there are some nice 'modern' photos of the 'Point Cooke' (is that the Australian War Memorial?)  Me 163B in 76/81/82 (I think) looking very much as it had when captured - great shame it was re-painted.

Yes, a great shame it was repainted. At least the 109G-6 is still original.

Point Cook 163 in original colors:

149158870_44a794faa6_o.1_zpsnfzk8a4e.jpg

australia053_zpsbpe8vpei.jpg

australia052_zpsci9t4d8a.jpg

More 163's:

Brandis-2_zpsxup1asod.jpg

NDVD_143_zpsblmbs4sy.jpg

Brandis_zps2b5idske.jpg

1_zpseepsxvtp.jpg

2_zps3fiuqqht.jpg

Cheers,

D.B.

27 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

I don't think one would learn much from the paint on it

That's for sure. Without a complete restoration ala the 262, FW 190F, etc. visually separating the original paint from the post war 'exhibition' paint from what's there now is extremely difficult. Once the restoration happens what's left is only the museum's educated approach to the a/c's original scheme. 

It's like they didn't have future modelers in mind at the end of the war!  How dare they! ;)

Well, not to be contrary or anything, but any of these machines that have been painted over rather than stripped and 'restored' are still very valuable because the original paint is still there. The layers can be sanded down through and notes made of the paint layers. Two examples come to mind, the AWM have done an 'excavation by sanding' on the Me 262, black X and most remarkably, the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton (not a million miles from me) have sanded a FAA Corsair back down to its original markings.. I mean it isn't pristine, but it is the original finish.

That's why I believe anything now left with original paint underneath more recent additions should be either left as is or taken back to its original finish (as far as is practicable (NASM Ta 152H would be a candidate, while the Horten is, I believe in need of serious attention to the actual fabric of the aircraft [plywood delaminating]).

Lovely 163 images Andreas....

Matt