Late War RLM usage of 81/82, etc.

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Well done Rob.   Nice picture of three different greens there including the black green spinner /prop and the 81 & 82 combination.  The size comparison to that of He-111 is also amazing behind the Do-335.   

That was exactly my thought too there Troy - the black/green prop and spinner really contrasts with the other colours on the Do335 in the picture. Also with the He111s in the background, which can reasonably be assumed to be painted in the older greens.

In addition, the under surfaces are very pale; too much in my view to be 65, so a little more evidence for 76/81/82 on this airframe.  

Edited by Padraic Conway

I’m still checking in on that last picture sent in by RBrown.   I know I have a few reference pictures to follow up on this great topic somewhere but those 81/82 color combinations really pop out at you.   There was a Bf 109K-4 color picture of “Gigi” Weiss “8” that was pretty spectacular I recall recently.  

Good topic for discussion.  

15 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

White 8

A_zpssk0foggv.jpg

Bf%20109K-4%20White%208_zpsho8zxlsh.jpg

Lovely picture! And just exactly what colours are these??

A possible take (but just that, possible...)

Buff/light brown/cream undersurfaces

Very faded 81 Braunviolett under the cockpit with the Gigi name on

Is that another Brown shade behind the cockpit? Or a faded dark green (allowing for some colour shift within the print which seems to have happened over the years - )?

Cowling? 81 behind the spinner but some darker green behind this and in front of the cockpit. Could even be RLM66 black/grey when compared to the canopy framework...

Tail has dark green spots on a grey? background with apparently blue/white 76 underneath

Your take may vary. Mine probably will the next time I look at this picture! :o