Late War RLM usage of 81/82, etc.

What ever happened to the Lake Schwerin Dora 9?   I recall reading the wings were beyond economical repair but I thought Flug-Werk provided a set of wings before they went under?   It’s been decades since that Dora was recovered and or since we heard anything happening to the airframe.

Troy 

Here are two good samples of the colors in question . The RLM 76 piece is part of a wooden panel from a Bf 109 K-4  W.Nr. 330152  lost on 27 November 1944. The upper colors were 74/75. The oval panel was originally painted RLM 76 then was over  painted with light green. It is from an Fw 190 A-8 JG 6 W.Nr.171681 found at Euedenbach airfield near Remagen. This green is the same color that is on NASM's He 219. Interesting also this green was the undersurface color found on the He 111s of KG 55 at Bad  Wörishofen, Germany after the war. Our friend who lived there had many parts that he retrieved in 1946. As you can see these two colors are not related.

Cheers, Jerry

A-8 panel smallest.jpg

k-4 panel smallest.jpg

Interesting... it's good to see some of the very latest thinking/evidence here on LSP...

Gazzas, as far as I know, Regensburg sent a/c out in RLM 76 because their paint shop got a visit from the USAAF (mentioned in Squadron 109G walkaround), not a shortage of paint - subtly different scenario.. :) I assume the overall RLM 76 (if correct shade) backs up Vincent's note on 76 being a colour and a primer. I recall colour photos (prob from Signal magazine) showing mostly complete fuselages in a light blue overall. There are also images of WNF DIANA 109G-10 fuselages in overall RLM 76 before final assembly.

I had forgotten about the train load of 190D -11/13 cowls... Here is a still. It is clear that both a 'classic' RLM76 is visible as well as what appears to be the pale beige type colour used as a disruptive camo colour on the upper surface. I will refrain from drawing any conclusions from the image, BUT the fact this is a train load of the things, clearly not yet fitted means that Junkers' factory was using both hues (I've avoided saying colours) simultaneously. The cowls were part of the engine and produced and painted by the engine manufacturer (the 'power egg'). It isn't even likely that the cowls are 'old stock' with a repaint/overpaint as the D-11/13 cowl was different and a new product - so most likely that those two shades were applied one after the other in the same painting session...

What does that say?

9647005256_b201b2309a_o.jpg

Also I'd just say that Jerry's and Vincent's observations are not necessarily mutually exclusive - doesn't have to be either/or..

Matt

Guest Vincent

are talking about the greenish color or the tan one ? because to me they could be different. We must also take into account the film and how it captures colors. The pictures i posted were taken under a high quality true day light light source and as you can see, it's really greenish

My understanding would be that the main colours of interest are the RLM 76 ('classic') on the lower part of the cowl and that 'tan' one on the forward cowl...

The main part of the cowl seems to be in RLM75 (with the purplish hue) and a green colour.  Absolutely agree about the film and how it may affect colour reproduction. That said, the tan colour on the cowl looks very similar to the upper photograph in Jerry's post, which is interesting.

Personally, I'm not here to 'prove' anything, merely adding some thoughts... the variations in colours/hues observed would indicate to me that there are likely to be a number of factors at play. In terms of a new colour, it would only take one production facility to decide that a certain mix had to be used (for whatever reason) and we have a new colour, not officially sanctioned or described but a new colour nonetheless.

Matt

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, Vincent/MDC said:

Well, there are a few things pretty established about this color :

1) it did not receive a new designation. Whatever it was, it was supplied under an existing color code

2) application examples of this color matches application of RLM76. Whenever the color is found, it's at a place where RLM76 is called for

It is therefore pretty convincing to say that this color was known as RLM76 to the supply chain

The other question is of course, was the hue intentional. German researchers agree with my analysis that the greenish hue was the unexpected result of a formulation change. When looking at the parts in my possession, it is evident that there is considerable hue variation within that color. Depending on the paint thickness on the part, hue ranges from "normal" RLM76 without any hint of green, greenish 76 and even brownish 76.

The next question is, what benefit this hue would have if intentional. The answer is pretty clear : none. A super light green does not really offer better ground concealement, sorry to break some myths here. The germans themselves did not believe in it either because when you have a look at the Me 109K4 camo scheme, it's pretty much darker greens and browns covering the sides and wings of the a/c. That makes more sense.

So  far in this thread I have not see any of the really knowledgeable reseachers dispute that this color is a variation of RLM76.

I have to say Vincent that, intentionally or not, this post of yours reads rather conceitedly, especially your concluding sentence where your mentioning 'really knowledgeable researchers' smacks somewhat of elitism.

I thought I had put forward a balanced argument on p1 when I highlighted the blue/white, green and concrete colours used on the undersides of the FW190s in the pictures provided there. I provided a reasoned justification for my opinion why these were distinct hues. Other posters (some very well known in this field) have since contributed and developed mine and their ideas with supporting evidence. I also acknowledged your position as potentially valid, but not, in my view, comprehensive enough to form a complete justification for the widespread existence of 3 distinct underside colours (in a variety of hues). My position has not changed, but at no point did I make a value judgement about the credibility of your suggestions. I thought all participants here were involved in a thoughtful and measured discussion?

I may not be in print on this subject, but I do know what I'm talking about. Your words above are poorly chosen.

Padraic

There are some undocumented colors that so far no RLM documents have identified including light green. This is acknowledged by research teams that have recovered Luftwaffe fighter aircraft. They know what they are talking about when it comes to colors on a/c. One puzzle is that D-9s have been found with light gray over light green. Why?

None of these "knowledgeable researchers" had ever contacted Warnecke & Böhm the leading paint manufacturer  for Luftwaffe paint. If you don't mind, could you share the names of the German researchers you mention with us. There is some thought that light green maybe the last version of RLM 76 but the bottom line it did exist and was  used on a lot of late war aircraft. A note on the color film still, when viewing the actual film the colors are much clearer. I extend an open invitation to any interested researcher to visit our garage full of Luftwaffe fighter parts with color and collection of documents, etc. and have a face to face civil discussion. A lot of new research will be revealed the forthcoming book now in the works.

Cheers, Jerry