Late War RLM usage of 81/82, etc.

12 minutes ago, Vincent/MDC said:

I've seen the thinning ratios and solvents documented delivered to the finnish airforce when they purchased RLM65, 74, 75 and 76 from Germany through Pori

RLM02, RLM65, RLM76 and RLM78 were priming/camo combos, the other colors were coloring only but for one given class of paint, the thinning was the same.

Sachtleben Chemie, a German chemical company is affiliated with Pori, I believe. Connecting the dots.

I've don't recall reading that 65, 76 and 78 were the priming/camouflage combos, only 02 and other colors were not. Makes perfect sense, though.

My fog is clearing somewhat, thanks for that.

Cheers,

D.B.

There is a new large book in the works that will have a much

new information that will answer a lot of questions about late war colors. One is that the late war light green and was a separate color than RLM 76 light blue and sometimes was used along side of 76 . In addition there are a lot of samples of light green that was painted over 76. There are still a lot of unanswered questions but there will  lots of break through data.

Cheers, Jerry

1 hour ago, Vincent/MDC said:

Are you serious ? If you look at the production stats for the Me109, you'll see that there wasn't a real problem with production of the a/c. There was a terrible problem with putting pilots and fuel inside the newly constructed machines but i've yet to find a wartime document stressing how the paint situation is slowing down production.

If you have such a document, i'd be happy that you share it with us

In fact, the opposite was found out by the allies as they overan Germany : they were kinda shocked how relatively unaffected the production was. What was affected big time was the delivery of machines to the units and that had nothing to do with paint.

There is one exception and it's the dispersed production of Me-262 and He162. There was a paint challenge as the supply chain was a bit off the normal track but even with the 262 it was a short term thing.

Vincents post is spot on. The lack of aircraft wasn't a problem at the end of the war, it was the lack of fuel to put into them and the skilled pilots to fly them. 

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

Sorry but the light green is a separate color .PPG paint company did a scientific analysis of NASM's He 219 top color that has light green  cross hatch design over the dark gray and produced a beautiful set of color chips and the one in question is a clear light yellow green. Ask Brett Green he was there and got a chip also. A couple of other examples are Leo Klatt's D-9 o 14./JG 26 recovered in 1997 had on the under surfaces  originally  76 and was over painted in light green . Another was Werner Zech's  "Black 8" W.Nr. 211028 had the under surface color light green over painted  76 light blue. These are not my words but the recovery  team's. We have a lot of samples of this light green. One of them is a small oval panel  from a JG 6 A-8 that was original 76 and over painted with light green. You can see some of these in my book along with the compass that is painted in original RLM 02. By the way I'm not the author of this new big book.

Cheers, Jerry                                                                                                                                                                           

7 hours ago, Jerry Crandall said:

The total weight for the camouflage paint on a Fw 190 was 4.4 pounds.

Cheers, Jerry

A gallon of paint weighs approximately 10 lbs.  This doesn’t seem correct.  

For those interested here is an extract from the document cited by Mr. Crandall,  documenting the weight of the Fw 190 A-8. 

45794330675_f4ca154eb6_h.jpg

The entry for paint (Farbanstrich) is highlighted with a listed weight of 2.0 kilograms or 4.4 pounds

The complete document can be found here.

Edited by RBrown