New to Airplane Models...

Garage21

OMG, I am impressed!!

I think you are ready to bypass canvas and wood and go straight to complete metal model aircraft.  Because the one thing that is so hard to replicate with a plastic model are the minute changes that happen to stressed aluminum skin of a real aircraft.

Gaz

Judging by all the custom work you did on that big ALFA I'm going to predict you will turn out one of the best Model Airways planes ever seen...

The stuff you scratch build will be exponentially better than the cast white metal stuff that comes with the kit.  The metal bits are the weakness of those kits, or at least that is my understanding. 

I have toyed with the idea of tackling one many times, but never bought one or built one.

Good luck with your project!

On 1/9/2019 at 1:40 PM, Garage21 said:

Actually Rigor - No - I'm an accountant.  I taught myself machining.  Which means I have an idiot for a teacher.

My "shop" if you can call it that is actually three 5' x 8' closets in my garage that I've turned into a cut shop, workshop and machine shop.  Even my shops are scale miniatures, but I can fabricate just about anything that you might find in a full-scale machine shop.  Well...  Let me rephrase that...  I have the TOOLS necessary to fabricate anything from a full-scale machine shop.  My skills are sorely lacking, but I figure things out as I go as best I can given my bad eyes and arthritis.

shop08

Garage, I have this same lathe and NONE of the skill.

Welcome aboard!

Mind --> :blowup:  BLOWN!!  I thought you were transitioning from restoring a full size car into building model airplanes.    That's some Smithsonian level work right there. 

Welcome to the forum.  Keep us updated with projects so I can feel inferior and humbled as I lay here in the fetal position sucking my thumb. 

On 1/13/2019 at 6:56 PM, ringleheim said:

Judging by all the custom work you did on that big ALFA I'm going to predict you will turn out one of the best Model Airways planes ever seen...

The stuff you scratch build will be exponentially better than the cast white metal stuff that comes with the kit.  The metal bits are the weakness of those kits, or at least that is my understanding. 

I have toyed with the idea of tackling one many times, but never bought one or built one.

Good luck with your project!

Ring - The metal pieces are definitely the weak spot.  Having said that though, I think it's a great kit and i'm excited to build it.

35 minutes ago, kensar said:

Welcome to the forum.

The most trouble you will have with the Camel is finding accurate documentation of the real thing.

Kensar

Ken - I'm very lucky that I live in Columbus, Ohio and the United States Airforce Museum is about 75 miles away and they have a Camel.  I've been there once to get the first round of reference photos and I'm sure i'll be back many more times.