New to Airplane Models...

Garage21

I'm new to this forum and new to model plane building, but I thought I might share some pics of my previous project.  I'm just getting ready to start a Model Airways Sopwith Camel.  My intent is to replace all of the pot metal parts with scratch built pieces in brass, aluminum and copper. Wish me luck.

Thank you grim and Gerhard.  I have been building large scale model cars my entire life.  I'm really hoping that building the Sopwith Camel is as much fun as thinking about building the Sopwith Camel because I'd love to explore some new territory.  I've worked in just about every material except wood so I'm excited to see how that goes.  Who knows, maybe i'll spend the next few years just building planes.

Wow! I can only agree with the guys here, that is some AMAZING work!!

That engine alone is utterly brilliant. You obviously have some tremendous talent, and I think all will agree with me when I say I think it will translate VERY well to aircraft modeling.

I think you are going to fit in at LSP very nicely.  

13 minutes ago, rigor said:

Just a shot in the dark I'm guessing you a machinist 

Actually Rigor - No - I'm an accountant.  I taught myself machining.  Which means I have an idiot for a teacher.

My "shop" if you can call it that is actually three 5' x 8' closets in my garage that I've turned into a cut shop, workshop and machine shop.  Even my shops are scale miniatures, but I can fabricate just about anything that you might find in a full-scale machine shop.  Well...  Let me rephrase that...  I have the TOOLS necessary to fabricate anything from a full-scale machine shop.  My skills are sorely lacking, but I figure things out as I go as best I can given my bad eyes and arthritis.

shop01

shop02

shop03

shop04

shop05

shop06

shop07

shop08

Edited by Garage21
add photos

26 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow! I can only agree with the guys here, that is some AMAZING work!!

That engine alone is utterly brilliant. You obviously have some tremendous talent, and I think all will agree with me when I say I think it will translate VERY well to aircraft modeling.

I think you are going to fit in at LSP very nicely.  

Thank you Out2.  I ain't got no friends and my family won't speak to me (and don't think THAT didn't take some work) so fitting in at LSP and making some new friends is kinda why I joined and what I was hoping for.

:hi:

Outstanding work Sir!

Uhmmmmm.........I think you're going to find the Camel relatively easy compared to what you're already doing. Even the flat wire rigging and it's terminal ends may not be that tough a task for you. Deciding what not to do may be your biggest challenge.

You've definitely piqued my interest!

Cheers,

Wolf