1/32 Tomcat suggestions?

Geddyme

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but here goes. Admins, please let me know if it is not, and I'll move it.

I'm at a point with my current build (HK 1/32 B-17G) where I will soon arrive at a stage I call "waiting for spring to arrive in Ohio so I can paint". In the interim I've been thinking of my next project and have settled on a Tomcat, the D Super Tomcat, or one of the earlier models that was upgraded to a "D". I've seen a few 1/32 kits on the internet... and my local brick and mortar place has a Tamiya "A" model. The Trumpeter "D" model looks very nice too. But before I shell out $120 - $180, I think it prudent to look around here, and also ask for opinions on the different kit options out there.

Thank you in advance, now I'm off to scour some builds.... :popcorn:

R/S

David

As you noted, the two options for a 1/32 F-14D are the old Tamiya Tomcat or the newer Trumpeter F-14D kit.

The Tamiya kit has some more accurate details, but it’s an old kit with half raised and half recessed panel lines, decals for the cockpit IPs and side consoles, and was only ever released as an A model.  Bottom line is that you’ll need to round up a bunch of aftermarket (some of which is OOP), or do a lot of scratchbuilding, to make it into a D model.

The Trumpeter kit is a D in a box, but has some shape issues, like the intakes and undernourished forward Phoenix pallet bulges, less detailed MLG than the Tamiya Tomcat, and some people have reported issues with the flexible vinyl wing seal bladders.  Zactomodels makes corrected intakes for the kit, which fixes one of the biggest problems.

Thank you for the replies everyone,

I'm strongly leaning towards the Trumpeter D model/Zacto intake corrections and some other aftermarket bits, main gear, bays cockpits at least.

MARU, thanks for your kind offer of purchasing the kit and sending it over the pond. I failed to mention while typing the first message I have a gift card balance from Christmas on Amazon that will cover the Trumpeter kit, and a Revell 1/144 D model just for funzies! While I prefer to give my business to the local brick and mortar store that my dad introduced me to 45+ years ago, this time its going to be Amazon... I'll source my paint/supplies from the local place though. Thank you again MARU!

Dave;

I've been looking at some of the builds here, including one discussion concerning the pallets,

I'll continue to look at others during the wait for the kits to arrive. There are quite a few D Cats here and much to consider with this kit... not the least of which is what actual plane I want to do.

Ryan;

Thank you for the links... after reading the threads you posted, I decided Zacto was the way to go for me as well. Those wing bladders look like a bear to get right, I'm still quite the amateur... not afraid of a challenge.

I probably will order the F-14's later tonight, and shop for those intakes as well.  Thanks again for the input folks.

R/S

David

No problem Dave, on the bladders. as long as you dont expect a clean edge from rubber to plastic you will be fine.

The trick, to me is to sand flush and then create another edge on firm plastic as I hope my post illustrates.

You might also consider the Aries cockpit.

Ryan

Thanks again Ryan, I will have a look at the Aries cockpit for sure... and I thought your post on those bladders was very clear, and your explanation above as well. I will definitely look at both again, once the kit arrives and I can see them for myself.

And I’ll get a WIP going once I get rolling. Have some quite a bit work to do on the Fort to get it ready for paint, combined with the Tomcat, should keep me busy for a while!

cheers!

Dave

On 1/10/2019 at 10:27 PM, ringleheim said:

If you are an F-14 guy, your'e crazy IMHO not to build one of the 2 new Tamiya F-14s in 1/48 scale.

They are sublime.

I wouldn't say I'm a Tomcat guy, though imho it is the sexiest, meanest looking jet ever, as I know next to nothing about the variants, load-outs and such like, but I've learned quite a bit recently from the above comments, and just poking around on the internet. I've read the wiki, and many of the wikis for weapons, counter measures and other stores referred to on that wiki, then I found this site which I'm scouring as we speak.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/index.htm     Edit: now a busted link

I'll also follow suggestions to resources I read in the Tomcat posts I find here. I have seen the Tamiya 1/48 A model, as a co-worker is building one in Jolly Rogers livery.  So I thought I'd go with the 32nd scale, for my build, and I had enough balance left over to snag the 1/144th, just to fiddle with. I already have a Strike Eagle, Falcon, Super Hornet (not built) in that small scale. If I do another Cat it will definitely be one of those you mention, ringleheim. Thanks for the suggestion.

On an aside, I think I might have found the specific bird I want to do for the 32nd scale... strongly appealing to me at least, now that I've ordered the kit.

https://fullcolorbirds.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/grumman-f-14-tomcat-vandy-one/

Specifically the last black tomcat, from VX9, F-14D Buno 164604, the final F-14 to wear the bunny livery. I need to find more information on this jet, before I decide, but I LOVE this bird. One downside, I won't get to do a lot of exterior weathering though, these birds look fairly clean. Food for thought at least.

R/S

David

Edited by Geddyme

Curious if any Tomcat builders have any thoughts on the discontinued Eduard Big Ed mega PE set for the trumpy F-14D? Found one for less than $100 (US), shipped.

The extra’s I currently have already ordered;

From BNA Model World - Aires cockpit, gear bays, weighted wheels and correct chin pod for the D.

From Scalehobbyist - Aires Exhaust Nozzles.

And of course the obligatory Intake Correction from Chris at Zactomodels. 

Thank you in advance for any input!

R/S, David

If you bought the Aires cockpit, there is little need for the Eduard set for the interior.  Adding the flat Eduard IP and side consoles would be a retrograde step IMHO.  Same for the Eduard wheel well details if you already bought the Aires wells.  Personally, I rarely use Eduard exterior detail sets because a lot of the stuff is stick-on, and it looks stuck on instead of being a flush part of the surface like it should be.

I’d pass on the Eduard set, but that’s just my two cents.

30 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

If you bought the Aires cockpit, there is little need for the Eduard set for the interior.  Adding the flat Eduard IP and side consoles would be a retrograde step IMHO.  Same for the Eduard wheel well details if you already bought the Aires wells.  Personally, I rarely use Eduard exterior detail sets because a lot of the stuff is stick-on, and it looks stuck on instead of being a flush part of the surface like it should be.

I’d pass on the Eduard set, but that’s just my two cents.

Hey Dave, thank you, much appreciate your input on my upcoming build, once again, I’ll save my cash for something else!

R/S

David

Edited by Geddyme

On 1/21/2019 at 4:47 AM, Starfighter said:

Thank you Starfighter,

I hadn't seen that thread yet, very informative read! I made note of a couple suggestions, and also will re-visit once the build commences!

R/S

David