Resin Merlin or Packard Merlin Engine??

Aviacom

Hi,

Apart from the Packard Merlin being license built by Packard during the war, what’s the difference between the Rolls Royce and Packard engines please?

Was wondering if I could buy a 1/32 Eduard Brassin Merlin engine and (If needs be) modify it to go into one of my 1/32 Tamiya P-51D’s to really spruce up the detail?

Cheers.

I really don't think there were any external differences, the internals however were a very different matter . The story I heard from an old Aviation engineer went something like this ,

RR engineers took the raywcastings from the internals and machined them to fit , fettled being the British term for this work , meaning that the people assembling the engines were highly skilled fitters

When Packard started production of the engine, they had to use relatively unskilled people to build then engines so the components had to be finished to much higher standards, making the final assembly similar to car engines, hence the lack of interchangeability for the engine components , leading to the Lancaster 1 & IIIs  and spit 9 and 16's ..

ColinR

The Packard Merlin was in fact a whole new engine. Drawings had to be re-drawn according to American standards, new nuts and bolts, hardware etc. Also the accessories were American made. The engines did come with a very complete toolset which was highly prized among groundcrew I read somewhere. A Packard Merlin was not compatible with a Rolls Royce one and that's why they decided to call the Packard engine Lancasters the Mk III. But there were instances that aircraft flew with a mix of both types of engine. There was a war on^_^

Cees

If using the first release kit of the Tamiya P-51 please be aware that both superchargers, the one from the Tamiya Spitfire kit and one for the Tamiya P-51 kit are included and there is a difference that you can see. Especially if you use the wrong one.       HTH

Mike Horina 

Edited by mhorina

This has absolutely no relevance to your question, but I see "Packard" and my brain goes back to another lifetime, another war. I was an engineman in the US Navy, my first boat had 4 Packard V-12's for main propulsion...nothing to do with the aviation engines, just flashing back...LOL

Edited by Harold