Revell super Hornet

Scotsman

19 minutes ago, blackbetty said:

Thanks for posting that.  I just read through all 9 pages.  Your finished kit looks great, but based now what I saw and the comments I read in your thread from you and others, I think I will pass on this kit!

So your build thread was very helpful indeed.

I have the Academy 1/32 legacy Hornet in the stash; I'm going to stick with that.

I'm currently wrestling with the Trump F as an RAAF aircraft and whilst it has it's weaknesses it's generally not a bad kit and serves as a good starting point to detail and make into a good looking kit. I have the Eduard interior and exterior sets, Aires Seats and Exhausts and Weapons sourced from Resin or alternative kits and with that it is looking like it will be a fairly impressive and good looking build as long as I don't manage to muck it up too badly. With that said for the $200 +/- the Trumpeter kit costs it should probably be better detailedOOB and not quite so reliant on Eduard to save it, fortunately it looks like Revell have attempted to do more of this fine detail with their Super and made a mess of some of the bigger aspects like the overall shape if the test shot has not been updated .

I have gone a bit Super Hornet crazy lately and have plans for quite a few so I was really looking forward to this release and hoping Revell would be amazing and much cheaper and I am not 100% convinced but there are nice looking elements. The ATFLIR and pylon looks 100000% better than Trumpeter's effort even if one half of the pod is moulded on the pylon which is odd. and the kit stores look much better also  (the Trumpeter AIM-9X are the worst looking kit missiles I have ever seen and the rest of the weapons are fairly basic) but selfishly  I would like to see 3x tanks in the Revell kit as it looks like there are only 2 in there. The intakes look like strange engineering too and to me look like they will be pretty hard to remove the seams and paint but I could be well off base?

If nothing else it spurs on the Aftermarket crowd to get behind it and churn out some good 1-32 E/F/G stuff which I don't think happened for the Trumpeter kits . I would love to see some  undercarriage, resin cockpits, seats and general upgrades that could be adapted for Revell or Trump kits as well as some more decal options as surprisingly there still isn't much out there in 1-32 for E, F or G models in this scale considering some of the colourful jets that have flown with the US Navy and the RAAF since it's delivery.

And finally I desperately want this to be the catalyst for somebody to build awesome up to date US Navy Pilots and WSO's in the current CMU-36 vests and wearing JHMCS and 23/P mask they are well over due please, please, please!

I am still looking forward to seeing this kit in the flesh though and even more so the F and G models. In the mean time I should probably get my finger out and finish the Super's I already have!

Cheers

Cairnsy

11 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Has anyone here built any of the Trumpeter 1/32 Super Hornets?

I have just spent an hour knocking around the 'net and they seem to get very mixed reviews.  A review at FSM really praised the kit as looking great and being very easy to build, unlike other Trumpeter 1/32 builds.  Other modelers at forums have said the panel line detail is too shallow, overall detail is poor, and that everything looks "clunky" like it was a smaller scale kit blown up to 1/32.

One modeler said the weapons it comes with are horrible and must be replaced.

Then there are a few comments  in this thread saying it is a difficult build.

Anyone care to share their opinion on these kits?

I built the kit a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. A couple of the normal Trumpeter mess ups, but otherwise not too much was done to it.

RFI here listing all the mods,

Build thread:

IMG_2410-X3.jpg

8 hours ago, cairnsy said:

And finally I desperately want this to be the catalyst for somebody to build awesome up to date US Navy Pilots and WSO's in the current CMU-36 vests and wearing JHMCS and 23/P mask they are well over due please, please, please!

Cheers

Cairnsy

The difficulty is to find the vest with the right pouches, if somebody can help...

The Trumpeter kit sucks in terms of assembly and the lower gun vents are a mess, but shape wise it looks pretty good. I personally don't like the surface detail, I have spent a huge amount of time rescribing almost everything and filling in many, many rivets. This reminds me that I still haven't taken any pics of my finished Super Bug...