1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E Kicked Up A Notch. Oct 3/19. Finished!

chuck540z3

On 1/13/2019 at 5:42 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Actually no.  I use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color in black directly on the plastic with no harm, even though the instructions caution that it might.   Because it’s a bit harder to remove than on a clear coat, I now try not to apply it to detail that I will be removing, which is why the original shot of the starboard side is so washed out.  I used to do that, but the areas I changed looked like the areas I filled with CA glue, so it became too confusing in my photos.  Now the TPLAC not only accents what I want for detail, but also what is flawed that I should fix, which reduces the number of flaws I find after a first coat of paint.

A few more comments:

I use enamels and lacquer paints mostly and the Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colors I use are also enamel, so I need to protect the paint with an acrylic clear barrier before I apply it.  Since I’m already using Tamiya acrylic X-22 clear gloss to prep the model for decals, this step has already been done.  I can then add the TPLAC to wherever I want it, let it dry for 10 minutes, then wipe it off with solvent on a rag with no fear that it will harm the paint.  Some will use other dark washes like oil paints dissolved in solvents the same way, but I really like the super thin and dense properties of TPLAC that quickly bleeds into fine detail without any buildup.  It comes in 4 colors and the bottles have a fine brush for application, identical to Tamiya Extra Thin Cement.

When you wipe off the TPLAC, use a rag with hardly any solvent, otherwise you might remove too much of the wash and need to reapply.  If you can’t or don’t want to use an acrylic clear coat, like on a metallic finish, the Flory Pro Modeler water based washes work OK, but they are a bit granular and getting an even look can be tricky.  Also, the Tamiya lacquers I use, decanted from a rattle can, are really tough when they dry and I can use TPLAC on them directly without an acrylic barrier, but I need to be careful and not scrub the wash too much or I could harm the paint.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thank you very much Chuck for the additional details abour how you apply the panel line wash. I will test the TPLAC on a spare part. So far I have used a few of the AK Interactive and Mig washes, but some of them were not good anymore even after I mixed them well. The solid and liquid had separated and I did not get a uniformly diluted paint anymore. 

Cheers,

Roger

On 14 January 2019 at 12:36 AM, chuck540z3 said:

You guys!  With those masks to make it so much easier, I’m feeling a lot of pressure to go Full Tiger.  Black is really cool, but come on.....   This is all Marcel’s fault.

Aaagh!

Chuck

Glad I could help out! Seriously, you just gotta do the Tiger, I didn't know about those pre-cut masks but in that case you just have to leverage all the work that went into creating those.

1 hour ago, VintageEagle said:

Thank you very much Chuck for the additional details about how you apply the panel line wash. I will test the TPLAC on a spare part. So far I have used a few of the AK Interactive and Mig washes, but some of them were not good anymore even after I mixed them well. The solid and liquid had separated and I did not get a uniformly diluted paint anymore. 

Cheers,

Roger

I have found that the MIG washes are too sticky and don't flow very well, so I use them sparingly and never for a panel line wash.  Too bad, since I own about 15 bottles of the stuff.

January 15/18

Thanks for the feedback guys.  As mentioned, I have lots of time to think about the final paint scheme and in all situations, I will be painting the entire model in gloss black anyway, like I usually do.  From there, I can make the final decision as to whether or not I’m done or I add the tiger stripes.  Both schemes should look cool, so there is no right or wrong answer.

While I have successfully installed the Black Box (BB) resin cockpit into the Kitty Hawk fuselage halves, the remaining big question is how will the canopy parts fit?  As mentioned, I have never experienced such a complicated mess of control arms and gadgets to raise and lower a canopy before.  Doing lots of dry fitting and eye-ball experimentation against reference pics, I have decided to go with the kit canopy and other parts, modified to fit the BB cockpit.  The reasons to do so are simple:  The BB canopy parts don’t fit the clear canopy very well and the kit parts are actually quite good and they DO fit the canopy, so why fight it?

To start off with, the KH kit cockpit has a rear wall too far backwards and all the kit parts are made for this distance, so rear control arms and other bits had to be shortened.

ohJ35z.jpg

In order to get these parts to fit together, I have had to permanently install the seat rails which the canopy fits into and some other stuff behind the seat, because gluing and installing them later will be very difficult without making a mess.  This makes painting more difficult, so its always a compromise between ease of painting and ease of final assembly.  Here is where I have started, which are the only parts that need to be permanent until final assembly.  Please note that not all parts have been cleaned up properly yet, since I’m still experimenting with fit.

8lbcY6.jpg

There are two main canopy parts that fit together at the back and in general, they fit terrible and must be trimmed and modified in order to do so.  Very weird and further, one of the control arm couplings coming off the left side of the assembly (at back) is missing two tabs to hold the control arm, like it does on the right side (at front), so I have added a couple of beads of CA glue to get things started.  This will be modified properly later.  The upper attachment points of the main arms were cut off, drilled out and metal pins were inserted to create a stronger fit.

dvdVBg.jpg

gCTpmP.jpg

When attached to the cockpit assembly, everything fits pretty good, with some of the control arms “glued” to hold them in place with liquid mask.  I will be adding several more smaller control arms at final assembly, since they are much too fragile to add now.

0AvueR.jpg

WENkUW.jpg

So far, so good, but how will this assembly fit when parked within the fuselage halves with the canopy dry fit on?  According to my references, pretty close to bang on…..

vZSN58.jpg

QIOUoj.jpg

The alignment from the front was off a bit, because the resin parts are not exactly identical, which initially made my heart skip a beat until I thought of a solution.  I dunked the top of the cockpit frame and the top of the resin seat assembly into some boiled water for 10 seconds, then carefully pushed the parts back into place.  Again, pretty darn good, which will be made even better when I glue the parts in permanently.

31ST4A.jpg

With the cockpit and canopy parts figured out, the rest of the technical aspects of this build should be fairly straight forward.  Yeah, I know the front gun doors fit like crap, there’s lots of re-scribing left to do and the chances of actually getting my hands on some seamless intakes is only 50/50 at best.  Still, I’m having lots of fun with this kit so far, because it’s the right combination of kit quality (6/10) and my improving skill set to try and create something special.

Next up:  Lots and Lots of cockpit detail and painting.  This could take awhile!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Thank you Gentlemen!

19 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

Great job on the cockpit so far.

What photo backdrop setup do you use? I love that blue background. It makes the pieces pop out at you!

Tim

This little setup, which comes with Blue, Gray, Green and White backgrounds.  I've tried the Green before and it was too overpowering, while the White and Gray are OK for finished models.  For In-Progress shots, Blue is the best, because it provides high contrast.

CYv5Mm.jpg

For finished models that are metallic,  blue also works great, although in a slightly larger setup.

rms6HG.jpg

dz6gIR.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,  The canopy looks outstanding.  Thanks for the Photography Tutorial.  Like all your builds it is a never ending learning experience from you.  Taking lots of notes on the cockpit and the canopy since I have this in the pile. 

All thou the tiger stripe on is really sharp looking, I vote for the black MiG-28.  :) 

Chuck have you had a chance to look at the exhaust on this thing?  Looking for your magic here.

Dan