1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E Kicked Up A Notch. Oct 3/19. Finished!

chuck540z3

Chuck, outstanding work and tutorials! Your models are so detailed, accurate and crisp. One question: are you using black ink or water color for highlighting the rivets and panel lines? Is it only to see them better or also because the may darken the rivets and lines even after a coat of the main aircraft color? Cheers, Roger

3 hours ago, dsahling1 said:

We really need to get you into doing a highly weathered aircraft, like a Russian Su-27 from the arctic region or an old MiG-29.  Airbrushing these requires a lot of skill, patience, and study, but its a lot of fun.  I've been in the middle of a little modeling hiatus (soon to be over once I get some custom decals in the mail), I'm doing a 1/32 scale diorama featuring 3 Su-27 Flankers, 1 Mi-8 Hip, a couple Russian ground vehicles, figures/ground crew & equipment, terrain, etc.  I'm planning on turning it into a WIP once I've gotten the first "test" plane done and have mastered and figured out the building techniques.  Anyhow I think once you see the airbrushing result from the technique I use you might take an interest :-)  Consider it for next time!

Really?  Been there, done that I'm afraid, but I'd love to see your diorama when it's finished.  Including my Spitfire above, these bad boys are pretty weathered already.

nhqK7b.jpg

8M8VtE.jpg

iwA3M9.jpg

1 hour ago, VintageEagle said:

Chuck, outstanding work and tutorials! Your models are so detailed, accurate and crisp. One question: are you using black ink or water color for highlighting the rivets and panel lines? Is it only to see them better or also because the may darken the rivets and lines even after a coat of the main aircraft color? Cheers, Roger

Thank you! 

I generally use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (TPLAC) after a gloss acrylic clear coat like X-22 and now I no longer highlight every rivet or panel line.  While that can look cool, it's not very realistic, because not all of them should be accented.  For my Spitfire, I didn't use any dark washes and instead highlighted some panel lines and rivets with light metallic pastels instead.

Here's the back of my Eagle.  There is some highlighting with TPLAC, but most of it was left alone, like the tiny rivet detail along the spine.  I will be doing the same thing on this model, but since it will likely be black, I will be using lighter washes instead.

7aB8eR.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

16 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Thank you! 

I generally use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (TPLAC) after a gloss acrylic clear coat like X-22 and now I no longer highlight every rivet or panel line.  While that can look cool, it's not very realistic, because not all of them should be accented.  For my Spitfire, I didn't use any dark washes and instead highlighted some panel lines and rivets with light metallic pastels instead.

Thank you Chuck for the explanation and the nice photos to illustrate! I agree with you that not all lines should be highlighted to achieve a realistic look. I assume you are using some water-based paint for highlighting the rivets and lines on the unpainted parts (to check the quality of scribing, riveting, etc.)?

Cheers, Roger

31 minutes ago, VintageEagle said:

Thank you Chuck for the explanation and the nice photos to illustrate! I agree with you that not all lines should be highlighted to achieve a realistic look. I assume you are using some water-based paint for highlighting the rivets and lines on the unpainted parts (to check the quality of scribing, riveting, etc.)?

Cheers, Roger

Actually no.  I use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color in black directly on the plastic with no harm, even though the instructions caution that it might.   Because it’s a bit harder to remove than on a clear coat, I now try not to apply it to detail that I will be removing, which is why the original shot of the starboard side is so washed out.  I used to do that, but the areas I changed looked like the areas I filled with CA glue, so it became too confusing in my photos.  Now the TPLAC not only accents what I want for detail, but also what is flawed that I should fix, which reduces the number of flaws I find after a first coat of paint.

A few more comments:

I use enamels and lacquer paints mostly and the Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colors I use are also enamel, so I need to protect the paint with an acrylic clear barrier before I apply it.  Since I’m already using Tamiya acrylic X-22 clear gloss to prep the model for decals, this step has already been done.  I can then add the TPLAC to wherever I want it, let it dry for 10 minutes, then wipe it off with solvent on a rag with no fear that it will harm the paint.  Some will use other dark washes like oil paints dissolved in solvents the same way, but I really like the super thin and dense properties of TPLAC that quickly bleeds into fine detail without any buildup.  It comes in 4 colors and the bottles have a fine brush for application, identical to Tamiya Extra Thin Cement.

When you wipe off the TPLAC, use a rag with hardly any solvent, otherwise you might remove too much of the wash and need to reapply.  If you can’t or don’t want to use an acrylic clear coat, like on a metallic finish, the Flory Pro Modeler water based washes work OK, but they are a bit granular and getting an even look can be tricky.  Also, the Tamiya lacquers I use, decanted from a rattle can, are really tough when they dry and I can use TPLAC on them directly without an acrylic barrier, but I need to be careful and not scrub the wash too much or I could harm the paint.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

1 hour ago, dodgem37 said:

'The masking alone would be weeks of work!'

Chuck, the scheme was done free-hand.  What do you mean mask?

Sincerely,

Mark

Dang you Marcel!  Now I’m having second thoughts about my black paint scheme.  That Tiger scheme looks killer, and yes, I need to mask it.  The boys in the hanger can spray it free-hand, but at 1/32 scale?  I don’t think so.

What do you guys think?  At least I have lots of time to think about it.

Update.  I am putting all the pieces of the cockpit together, at least dry fitted mostly, including the canopy opening/closing bits, which when combined, has to be the most complicated contraption I have ever seen on a Jet!  This will take awhile, but I think I’m now winning using a combination of Black Box and kit parts.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Nice to see the F-5 getting the "kicked up a notch" treatment

as for the scheme there's a set of masks available through Aero Masks

http://www.advmodprds.com/f532.html

just to give you a heads up

Ps I'm doing the red 21 love that scheme...

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

20 minutes ago, stusbke said:

Nice to see the F-5 getting the "kicked up a notch" treatment

as for the scheme there's a set of masks available through Aero Masks

http://www.advmodprds.com/f532.html

just to give you a heads up

Ps I'm doing the red 21 love that scheme...

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

You guys!  With those masks to make it so much easier, I’m feeling a lot of pressure to go Full Tiger.  Black is really cool, but come on.....   This is all Marcel’s fault.

Aaagh!

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3