2nd build in 30 years... Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-1D

Eenyweeny

IMG_0536_zps7e2rbsue.jpgIMG_0537_zpsdixjcjhx.jpg

I need a better camera... the Iphone doesn't work in my lighting conditions! Middle wing is complete, oil coolers fitted and an attempt made to use cunning painting to make them look a little more real. I painted both coolers black, then highlighted the fins with silver, to make them appear slimmer.

The rest of the oil cooler assemble was painted the main navy blue colour, then the detail picked out in matt black. Looks better in real life and far closer to reality than trumpeters suggestion of painting them matt white!. I then filled around them with Tamiya putty, watered down. Then fixed the middle wing to the fuselage.

IMG_0539_zpszljygrfl.jpg

Very pleasantly surprised at how little filling and sanding required at the joints. 

Question... How on earth do I mask the cockpit, oil coolers, wheel wells... I can't figure out how to mask something that opens into the structure, any help hugely appreciated!

13 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Make-up remover foam cut to fit.

For sure. If you got to your local Walgreens /pharmacy, you can pick up a big bag of makeup sponges that will probably last you years. The makeup sponges are much more dense feeling than your average sponges, and are also excellent for dabbing on masking fluid for chipping, and also are great for dabbing on paint for chipping too. 

IMG_0541_zpsuewtn18y.jpg

IMG_0540_zpskghnfsrs.jpg

So... mixed results with my first time spraying something large with my airbrush!

1. The colour isn't right... I mixed 3 tamiya acrylics as researched somewhere, but I'm not happy with the colour, it's too green and not dark enough... that I can fix!

2. the line running along the top of the fuselage from the cockpit to the engine, I thought was a panel line... clearly not! I can fix that too!

3. I forgot to glue on the front of the windscreen... again, I can fix it...

Positives were the paint finish! I guess that called learning!

Thanks again for the kind comments. Gerhard, wise words indeed. 

I'll add some more photos when this current coat of the correct blue has dried. As it turns out, Model Masters do a colour called Dark Sea Blue, which is exactly the right colour and saves making a mess mixing paints.

I am discovering the drawback of air brushing. My surface preparation isn't good enough. I can see tiny scratches from sanding, which means that 320 grit is too coarse? Which grade of sand paper should I be finishing with? 1000 grit? Also dust... I cleaned the model down with a paper towel moistened with thinner, but I can't do that once the first coats gone on, so what should I use after that?

I'm sure I'm being too over critical! but any tips would be greatly received!

Thanks for looking

IMG_0543_zpsqb8jq6vj.jpg

IMG_0542_zpsguwjgdkl.jpg

This time sprayed a closer colour. This is slightly darker than the Tamiya colour AS8, however, it looks fine to me and much better than the previous attempt. 

Annoyingly the cockpit has a scratch running down the front pane. It was like that when I removed it from the protective bag and despite dipping it in Johnson's floor gloss (future), no improvement.

IMG_0545_zpso5sew76z.jpgIMG_0546_zps0qbjchrv.jpg

Starting to look like a corsair now, sat on it's own wheels!

IMG_0547_zpsybwjss1l.jpgIMG_0548_zpsrvjqx3px.jpg

Nearly there! Just need to decide on the decals and weapons load out now. HVAR's will definitely be going on her, but I can't decide between drop tanks or bombs!

As far as sandpaper, I don't think i have ever gone over 600 grit, most the time 400 grit works just fine for me (that's also wet sanding) some times if you get the plastic to gloss you could have issues with the paint being able to get a bite and you could end up peeling the paint off if you do any masking.

Edited by SCRATCH BUILDER