2nd build in 30 years... Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-1D

Eenyweeny

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and recently reacquainted with this fantastic hobby. My first build was this same model and it's fair to say I made a pretty poor job of it... so I decided to have another go. I'm building this straight out of the box, no add-ons and not hugely concerned with accuracy against a specific aircraft, I'm mostly using it to hone my techniques and learn new skills. 

I would appreciate any suggestions, criticism from you talented lot!

Here's where I'm up to:

IMG_0435_zpsqlwwzatl.jpgIMG_0433_zpsxaw7fkn6.jpg

This is the completed cockpit, not sure if the minor weathering looks any good... and I've done the best I can with the meager gauge panel.

IMG_0432_zpszjtmy7x9.jpg

On the basis that most of this can't be seen from inside the fuselage, I'm not going to do anymore... and I dont have the necessary materials (or patience) to add finer detail!

15B3089E-1BA5-45F1-8E06-A6A5D891F3E2_zps

IMG_0427_zpskllzliye.jpg

I suspect the colours aren't quite accurate, but every photo I could find of this beast was different!

IMG_0439_zpsvcg0ptlq.jpg

Shame about the size of the decals!

IMG_0438_zpsllmfizyg.jpgIMG_0437_zpslfyqvjbs.jpg

IMG_0436_zps7fuuiyei.jpg

Spot the mistake on this picture... think I might have to disassemble and paint the plastic disk behind... matt black???

I'll post more as I progress, thanks for looking. as I mentioned before... please provide any criticism or advice.

It all starts like this.....................

First you get into a kit like this and just kind of jump in. Then you start figuring out techniques that work for you as an individual modeler. They will start coming more naturally as you get to using techniques that match up with the results you want. 

This goes for weathering too. Its all down to your individual tastes. Clean build, dirty build, try it all!   You can chalk builds like this up to learning experience if it does not turn out exactly to your liking.

Either way, its good just to experiment with things and see what you like and what works for you. 

Welcome aboard! You're going about it the right way, don't fuss about detailing and accuracy and have fun. Build it for yourself, to a standard you're happy with.

It's easy to get into a trap looking at some of the mind-blowing builds on this website, and thinking, "I could never do that!" ...and then not post photos. Of all the sites I look at, this is the only one I post on regularly, because the inmates here are generous and encouraging with their experience and advice. You will learn plenty here.

And besides, you are doing excellent work so far. Keep it up and please keep posting.

Richard

PS: Welcome from a fellow Ontarian! 

Edited by R Palimaka

Nah, leave it.  Like Richard said, dont fuss too much with super small details on this one and just get a feel for what you want and like. Each time you try something you like/dont like you can chalk it up to learning on the next one, and each progressive model can be better and better.

Honestly I don't think it looks too bad at all. As you said, in the end, you are not going to see much up there, and unless you are planning on entering it in a contest, no one will (or should be) picking up your model to see in there.  

Thanks Scratch Builder! The part I'm really worried about lies ahead! I comfortable doing all the small components, airbrushing and brush painting... but painting the whole model is a different matter! I've seen a number of techniques used that I'm not sure whether I should attempt. Pre-shading for example, I'm not sure whether it would make any difference under the fairly dark blue I plan to paint her?