New decals - F-4B/F-4J Phantom Airframe Data/Panels (stencil type)

ziggyfoos

On 1/8/2019 at 11:52 AM, ziggyfoos said:

Ya I know what you meant, but these stencils wouldn't be for that. This sheet is for this type:

F-4wing1.jpg

You'd need the type on the top, but this sheet is the type on the bottom:

data.jpg

Another great product from AOA Decals...love it! 

There’s been a lot of interesting discussion here of late regarding Phantom maintenance and data markings, in all of their varied forms. 

Regarding the USN/USMC “stencil style” markings depicted in this release, are they another variation of (McAir) factory applied airframe data? Or were they applied later in life during periodic depot level re-paints?

Regards,

Rich

Ya these were the type on rework only, not applicable to all a/c as noted. These were used at least as early as 1966 up to at least 1972 (pic in my Jan 2019 post above is 1972). Just like using McD data isn't accurate for all, same here and using these aren't accurate for all either of course.

It happened to be that many of the schemes I was covering then had this type, and since at the time Zotz already had their version of the McD style (and Cam had some other form) I wanted to provide this painted on style.

I didn't know how to differentiate/label/market them other than  identifying them as "stencil type" but mentioned in the description writeup that they were applicable to reworked F-4s. And although these are "stencil type", this isn't that "phantom stencil" font that is out there.

Edited by ziggyfoos