Sign in to follow this  
GDW

Tips on using Vallejo Surface Primer 70.601

ive5u1H.jpg

Hello fellow modelers. I just purchased some Vallejo Surface Primer. I would like to ask those of you who use it, how do you go about airbrushing it? This product is brand new to me, so even the most basic information about it is welcome. I know one modeler that thins Vallejo Clear with ammonia based Ajax/Windex. Would that work with the surface primer as well? Looking forward to learning more...

Thanks, Greg

Greg i use both the vallejo thinner and reducer when I spray their primer. I’m still trying to perfect the ratio but I can say it is better than spraying it straight from the bottle so far. I’ve also learned that it is very unforgiving if you put too much on at on, which I’m famous for but improving on lol. If too thick it peels off with tape, rather noticeable after your finish coat is on, go figure. currently I mix in 1 drop reducer to 10 drops primer and add 2 drops of thinner. For reference, I paint in my basement so it’s always a controlled temp and humidity. I’m using a .3 needle which has helped, seems .2 is too small unless spraying the model air paints or thinning everything else to more like a filter. Pressure about 12psi. My biggest problem is spitting from the needle which is what i was using the thinner and reducer to get rid of even after switching needle sizes. I’m still not totally happy with the finish when it lays down as it isn’t smooth so use this as a way of accelerating your learning :hmmm:

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and detailing how you've used this product, very much appreciated. I'm curious about the reducer, what is that? Something to slow down the drying time?

So my two cents here:

I think thinning the primer with Ajax wasn't an option. I have limited experience with this particular primer. More with later-released AK and MIG primers. Which give you satin finish. Pretty smooth but it seems thick-ish.

My favorite is Alclad Grey Microfiller. Straight out of the bottle, aggressive primer, dries extremely fast. Not the white though. GREY all the way.

Second best I can say is Mission Models US primer. Very tough son of a gun. And I mean rock solid. They come with instructions and if you follow that you'll be fine.

Third one, and with that I cannot help you because I never mastered that is Mr.Surfacer decanted or out of a jar but properly diluted with acetone. I always spray it like a cotton candy, never hit the right spot. But I know a fellow modeler in this forum who can help you out with that and can ask him to join the thread if you want me to.

Now, if you want to use this one and insist on that, I suggest to get Vallejo thinner for it. I doubt the retarder would help with it. Especially during the winter I trust that you won't need any.

But after all it is all about testing, testing & testing.

3 hours ago, GDW said:

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and detailing how you've used this product, very much appreciated. I'm curious about the reducer, what is that? Something to slow down the drying time?

Yes reducer or retarder helps keep it from drying on the tip for just a bit longer, like maybe 2x. I tried the “water based reducer” from Createx - turns out it has some alcohol in it so it gummed up the works lol. Bad advice, kinda like the ajax one. I am using vallejo retarder 70.597 now. The createx water based thinner is truly water based though and works great for cleaning the airbrush. Much cheaper solution that has worked for me. I only use the vallejo airbrush thinner for thinning paints. 

I am really trying to get the true water based paints to work for more than just figures and cockpits. Sure would save me having this huge paint booth to get rid of fumes, and to throw out the respirator i use as well :fight:

Posted (edited)

Well gentleman, this is really good. Thank you. Time to get out the airbrush and follow Eagle Driver's advice, test. I'm wondering Mitko, are you referring to Anthony in NZ? I'm sure the great thing about using Mr. Surfacer is how well it adheres and sands. I would definitely need help learning how to spray it though. 

Edited by GDW

4 hours ago, GDW said:

Well gentleman, this is really good. Thank you. Time to get out the airbrush and follow Eagle Driver's advice, test. I'm wondering Mitko, are you referring to Anthony in NZ? I'm sure the great thing about using Mr. Surfacer is how well it adheres and sands. I would definitely need help learning how to spray it though. 

No, actually I was referring to F's are my Fav's. He uses Mr.Surfacer.

But if you can get Grey Microfiller from Alclad2, I don't see the point in experimenting with Surfacer.

21 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

No, actually I was referring to F's are my Fav's. He uses Mr.Surfacer.

But if you can get Grey Microfiller from Alclad2, I don't see the point in experimenting with Surfacer.

I will definitely give it a try. Thank you for introducing it.